Volcano Fermentation! Am I OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsbeckton

Reaction score
So I know the usual suspects for excessive fermentation/plugged airlock are lack of headspace, lack of a blowoff tube, lack of fermcap, high fermentation temp, lack of fermcap...

Well I had a 5 GAL 1.056 OG IPA, 1L starter, used a 7.5gal carboy with about 6 gallons of beer, used 12 drops of "fermcap", had a "blowoff tube" and am fermenting at about 64F (probe taped to carboy).

So disclaimers about the quatations:

The "fermcap" is what my LHBS carries and just says something like foam control" or something like that, not sure if there is a difference. The directiosn call for 1-2 drops per gallon in boil or fermentor. I added to fermentor only because I have lots fo headspace on boil.

What I am calling a "blowoff tube" is just a 3-piece airlock with the cap removed and a hose attached to the cylinder and leading to a jar of sanitizer.

So I had about a 1" krausen after 48 hours and was looking great, them about 56 hours in I checked again and ther was krausen in the airlock. I cleaned it out and replaced it but sure enough ir pluggged again. I then left the airlock off and just covered with foil like i do for a starter since I had to go to work and it was obvious that the tube would be plugged again.

So my questions are, should fermcap prevent 1.5gal plus of krausen? Anything else that I should have done? And as long as after activity settles I replace the foil with and airlock, will I have any problems with oxidation? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Every piece of your story is quite common. Even with fermcap, sometimes the yeast do what they want. Oxidation is not usially an issue, as there is quite a lot of positive pressure exiting the carboy. Just cover back up as soon as you can.

Also, you may consider a larger blow-off. I use a 2" tube the fits snugly into the neck of my carboys. I had far too many beer-canos using the airlock attached method.

ColoHox said:
Also, you may consider a larger blow-off. I use a 2" tube the fits snugly into the neck of my carboys. I had far too many beer-canos using the airlock attached method.

Yeah, I have been meaning to do this! Hope I can fit this type of airlock in my keezer. Not sure how bendy the larger hose is but I have about 5-6" space above Carboy.

Back