Visiting New Orleans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KVP

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'll be spending a few days in New Orleans.
Any recommendations?

Thanks

The only breweries I know of down there are Abita and Covington. Abita also makes awesome root beer. You definitely need to go to Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets. Good food is everywhere down there.

All that. Bayou Teche beer too.

If The Bourbon St bar is still on Bourbon St in the Quarter, it used to be a nice bar to just have a drink. Look for Big Daddy's too. Just don't go home with any of the women. You'll figure out why.

Bucktown was good for seafood at more wallet friendly places than the main attractions.

Get you a roastbeef poboy. Russell's Short Stop in Metairie is a local fave. There was a place in the Quarter, I forget the name, but it looked like a 50s diner, without being fake, and it had some great poboys too.

City Park is worth a visit. Audubon zoo and the aquarium too.

Go to lafittes blacksmith shop and get the purple slush is thing that has everclear in it. Drink two and then cruise bourbon street and get smashed!!!

NOLA brewery suspended tours due to damage from Hurricane Isaac but I think they are opening back up this week or next week.

Here are the places I go for lots of good beer on tap:
Avenue Pub 1732 St. Charles Ave.
Cooter Browns 509 South Carrollton Avenue
The Bulldog 3236 Magazine St (there's another one in mid city as well)

If you've never been to the French Quarter, go anyway but it's too touristy for me. Still, the architecture alone is worth seeing but I wouldn't spend a whole day there.

Send me a PM is you have any questions. I live in the suburbs but grew up in New Orleans. Have fun but not too much. :)

Food.....someone mentioned Bucktown. Deanies has some very good food. It's barely in the suburbs right on the 17th canal (the other side) that busted in Katrina and caused so much damage.

Latest posts

Back