Alabama Visiting Gulf Shores from IN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn0522

Reaction score
I will be visiting Gulf shores and would really like to find some good beer. What are the must try's (even if not from the area) that i cant get back home in Indiana? Any beer bars with a great selection? Would love to find a place to take the family on the beach, with great beer, raw oysters and relaxed atmosphere. Will be down the beginning of April. I can bring down three floyed's or other beers from my area if anyone wants to set up an in person trade.

Hmmm, Gulf Shores isn't exactly craft beer heaven if you know what I mean. Big Beach Brewing Company opened recently but I haven't been there and I haven't heard anything about it yet. Fairhope Brewing is about 40 mins away and you can find their beer in Gulf Shores or visit the brewery in Fairhope if you have time. You'll be able to find stuff from Cigar City Brewing in Tampa and Sweetwater in Atlanta at the restaurants and grocery stores. The Gulf in Orange Beach is a nice outdoor bar/restaurant on Perdido Pass that should have a few craft brews to choose from. Hope you have a great time, L.A. is a beautiful place.

Hmmm, Gulf Shores isn't exactly craft beer heaven if you know what I mean. Big Beach Brewing Company opened recently but I haven't been there and I haven't heard anything about it yet. Fairhope Brewing is about 40 mins away and you can find their beer in Gulf Shores or visit the brewery in Fairhope if you have time. You'll be able to find stuff from Cigar City Brewing in Tampa and Sweetwater in Atlanta at the restaurants and grocery stores. The Gulf in Orange Beach is a nice outdoor bar/restaurant on Perdido Pass that should have a few craft brews to choose from. Hope you have a great time, L.A. is a beautiful place.

I appreciate the feedback. If all else fails hopefully i can find a good beer store and find a permanent spot on the deck and drink till i cant stand...cheers!

I appreciate the feedback. If all else fails hopefully i can find a good beer store and find a permanent spot on the deck and drink till i cant stand...cheers!

Rouse's supermarket in Gulf Shores is probably your best bet for craft beer shopping while you're down there. Just fyi...

I can personally recommend a trip to the taproom at Fairhope Brewing Co. make sure you try the "Take the Causeway IPA". I haven't been to Big Beach yet, but it's on the list for this Summer. Others within a reasonable driving distance are the Grayton Beer Co just outside Destin and Props (a brewpub) in Ft. Walton. If you make it to Props, I recommend the Flying Coffin IPA. On your way back up, if you find yourself in Dothan, AL, check out Folklore Brewery and Meadery. In Birmingham, you should definitely try to stop at Good People Brewing Co. and have a Snake Handler. Also in Birmingham is Avandale Brewing and a few others I haven't. Went to yet. Farther north, in Huntsville, you have Straight To Ale. Their MonkeyNaught IPA is good (if you can't tell, I like IPAs). These are some of my favorites you might find yourself near. There is also a brewery in Pensacola I think, not sure of the name. If you go to Big Beach, please report back!

Thanks for the info. We visited Ft Walton last year and went to Props. Didnt love the beer but the beer store in the parking lot was amazing. They turned me on to sunshine city IPA by Greenbench. Amazing beer! Anyone suggest a great place to take the family with good selection of beers, on a beach, and good seafood?

Yeah, as stated earlier. Gulf Shores isn't the Brew Pub capital by a longshot. Alabama has some strange alcohol and brewery laws. However, Fairhope Brewing Co. has some decent selections. And Rouse's is about the best selection around. I am just seeing Dogfish Head coming into the local stores. That's how slow it is down here.
Enjoy Gulf Shores though. Nice beach.

As far as a good selection of beer on the beach, you may find it at the Hangout (although a bit pricey). Hard to find a place on the beach that has craft beer on tap. The Big Beach Brewing Company is the only brewery there (and not on the beach but has a great laid back atmosphere). They don't serve anything but the beer they make on premises. Can't serve food at any brewery. (Yeah, odd laws.) But you can bring your own food in or order from the restaurants to deliver. So as far as kids, they'd have to bring their own drinks and then you'd have to figure out the food issue. Hopefully things will change soon. There is huge potential for good breweries to come here but I don't think anyone wants the hassle.

But to trail a little off subject, my wife's from Indianapolis and used to vacation here as well. That's how I conned her into moving here about 15 years ago. Love it down here and love the weather.

Yeah, as stated earlier. Gulf Shores isn't the Brew Pub capital by a longshot. Alabama has some strange alcohol and brewery laws. However, Fairhope Brewing Co. has some decent selections. And Rouse's is about the best selection around. I am just seeing Dogfish Head coming into the local stores. That's how slow it is down here.
Enjoy Gulf Shores though. Nice beach.

As far as a good selection of beer on the beach, you may find it at the Hangout (although a bit pricey). Hard to find a place on the beach that has craft beer on tap. The Big Beach Brewing Company is the only brewery there (and not on the beach but has a great laid back atmosphere). They don't serve anything but the beer they make on premises. Can't serve food at any brewery. (Yeah, odd laws.) But you can bring your own food in or order from the restaurants to deliver. So as far as kids, they'd have to bring their own drinks and then you'd have to figure out the food issue. Hopefully things will change soon. There is huge potential for good breweries to come here but I don't think anyone wants the hassle.

But to trail a little off subject, my wife's from Indianapolis and used to vacation here as well. That's how I conned her into moving here about 15 years ago. Love it down here and love the weather.

Thanks for all the info. I guess if i cant find good beer to buy, Florida isnt far...lol. will definetly look into Hangout.

I dont get to indy very often but they now have a bunch of great breweries.

Thanks for everyones help. Will be tbere tomorrow! One last question. What are the growler laws in alabama. Should i bring some empty growlers down with me or do they have to be from the brewery?

Back