Vinegar Solution To Clean Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndeere

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere here that you can use a vinegar solution to clean your wort chiller. I don't have a chiller made yet, so I borrowed my friends. His was not cleaned from previous use (sticky and had hop residue on it). So I soaked a rag in a 50/50 water and apple cider vinegar solution. I wiped it everything off good and shined it up nice.

Here's the thing:
I forgot to rinse it off and wipe it down before I put it in the boiling brew pot. I cleaned it about an hour before it hit the boiling wort. The bottom of the chiller was probably the only part wet anymore. I wouldn't have known any of this until I smelled my hand and remembered what I forgot. The top of the chiller had a slight vinegar smell (not overwhelming).

Quick question:
Will a small amount of my vinegar solution have any impact on my beer? The airlock was bubbling within 12 hours, so it's getting off to a way better start then my first batch. Just slightly concerned with the vinegar residue on the chiller.

HBT Nation... Ease my mind.

I wouldn't worry about it. It obviously didn't effect fermentation and the fact that you put it in the boiling brew pot, as opposed to the cooled wort, means its not a big deal. Also, its a natural cleaner, vinegar. RDWHAHB.

Cool, that's pretty much what I thought. This brew should turn out pretty good. I have a pipeline started, so now I have the luxury of patience.

Time to start making plans for the next batch.

Back