Vinegar in beer whoops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvso

Reaction score
I made a grave error today. I was making a Jalepeno Ale and all was going well. I has roasted 6 jalepeno sand soaked them in vodka and tequila. I put 2 peppers into boil, 2 into primary, and added the last couple today, or so I thought. My wife had some pickled jalapeños in the fridge in a same style of container I had my liquor soaked peppers in. I mistakingly dumped the pickled peppers into my secondary along with the brine, which is vinegar based. A few hours later I discovered my peppers still in the fridge. I went ahead and dumped them in secondary as well.

Anyone ever added vinegar in beer before?

Sounds like a great experiment. If the vinegar still has life in it, the organisms (acetobacter mostly) will have a ball and increasingly sour the beer over time. That may or may not be bad, given the hot peppers.

Have you tried a sample yet? I'm curious too how it develops.

Haven't sampled it yet. Figured I would just let it run it's course and taste on kegging day. I noticed it has turned a reddish color from a golden color. Interesting. Will keep you posted.

That sounds awful. I would guess it will give a salty, wine and harsh sourness. However, I hope I'm wrong. I would like to hear how it turned out.

Good luck,

maybe you will end up making 5 gallons of delicious jalapeno malt vinegar. In which case I would like some, would go great on a poutine.

Sounds like a great experiment. If the vinegar still has life in it, the organisms (acetobacter mostly) will have a ball and increasingly sour the beer over time. That may or may not be bad, given the hot peppers.

Have you tried a sample yet? I'm curious too how it develops.

I'm curious about this as well. Do you think commercial vinegar has active acetobacter inside it? Or could it be that they pasteurize or filter it out so that the beer will have a small amount of vinegar flavor and won't spread to the rest of the batch?

image.png

Sampled it yesterday before kegging and I think it's going to be great.it has a very very very slight sour taste that helps accentuate the pepper taste. Will give another report in a month.

Hmmm, are you the great optimist? I know how you love your own beer, but really? It tastes good? You should enter it into a competition for fun. Go for the "other" category and tell them you put vinegar in it. That would be funny, and enlightening.

Good Luck,

Back