Managed to pickle habaneros. how best to preserve them.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokester

Reaction score
Most of my attempts at pickling habaneros have been marginal at best. However a yr ago I managed to pickle 1 qt with super salty brine etc etc. The other 1/2 qt I pickled turned out horrendous. So I tossed it yesterday. Today I opened the qt fully expecting the same mushy results and omg, is this phenomenal. Salty and crisp and perfectly preserved. So now that the seal is broken, and the habaneros are like a yr of eating - How do I keep them for the next year ? Put a plastic lid on the jar and in the fridge ? Or any better method ? Split it in 4 jars, vacuum seal 3 and eat out of 1 and open the next when it is done ? Lemme know, I'm dying to keep these forever and repeat tis in all the next batches.

I've only been fermenting foods for six months or so. I refrigerate my sauerkraut when it's ready. I think vacuum sealing would keep them without refrigeration. They're already a year old, so I think they'll keep regardless.
It is fun to make a good batch, especially after a bad one.

Keeping them in the fridge will extend the life. Between the ph and salt content, they will deter spoilage especially at lower temperatures. Mold seems to be the biggest problem I run into with fermented foods, even in the fridge at times. Vacuum sealing makes it extremely difficult for mold to grow. Freezing is also an option but you'll probably lose the texture that way.

Back