Vin. Raspberry S.G.???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ONEAL

Reaction score
Hello! Hope everyone is well! So.... I purchased a 128 oz. Fruit Wine Base by Vintner's,- Raspberry- that makes 5 gallons. While getting the Primary ready to go, I took the S.G. and it is 1.070. I've never started this low, usually 1.085 or 1.095. Question is -- Leave it be, and why? Or get it to 1.095. I purchased it to blend with, along with Elderberry which was 1.092 and Black currant which was 1.090. Any way Raspberry seemed low and I was looking for opinions. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
You can bump it up to 1.090, any higher and the alcohol will over power the fruit, almost stripping the fruit flavor, plus, you'll have to age it for a long time before it mellows out and doesn't taste "hot".

You can bump it up to 1.090, any higher and the alcohol will over power the fruit, almost stripping the fruit flavor, plus, you'll have to age it for a long time before it mellows out and doesn't taste "hot".

I have never had statment apply to my wines. 14%abv and mellow and drinkable by 6 months with plenty of fruit flavor. Maybe I am just numb, but with over a hundred different batches of wine only one, at 18%abv needed to age longer then six month, and it kept its flavor.
Your advise is sound and normally accepted as truth, but not at my house.... Just one of those things that works for me and may not work for you. Just gotta try it to find out.
Besides, the poster wants to blend it with two other wines that were started at 1.090-1.095. Easier if they all start out at the same sg. Less math involved to determin finnel abv. By now he has probely racked to a secondary and this is all a mote point...

I have never had statment apply to my wines. 14%abv and mellow and drinkable by 6 months with plenty of fruit flavor. Maybe I am just numb, but with over a hundred different batches of wine only one, at 18%abv needed to age longer then six month, and it kept its flavor.
Your advise is sound and normally accepted as truth, but not at my house.... Just one of those things that works for me and may not work for you. Just gotta try it to find out.
Besides, the poster wants to blend it with two other wines that were started at 1.090-1.095. Easier if they all start out at the same sg. Less math involved to determin finnel abv. By now he has probely racked to a secondary and this is all a mote point...

Odd, because my experience with fruit wines is generally the same as pumpkinman's. Up to 12%, or even 12.5% and most fruit wine is pretty darn good but any higher and it gets boozy and overpowers the delicate fruit flavor. Some fruits like chokecherry can take a bit higher alcohol, but it still needs time to mellow for me, also.

I try to keep lighter fruit wines under 1.085 for an OG. It can be blended with other fruit wines if desired. It's simple math.

Those bases are designed to make either a 3 gallon "full strength" wine, or 5 gallons of diluted wine. I've done both with some of those bases, using sugar to up the OG. It works out fine, depending on the desired flavor. Since it's already diluted to 5 gallons, might as well boost the OG if desired.

Odd, because my experience with fruit wines is generally the same as pumpkinman's. Up to 12%, or even 12.5% and most fruit wine is pretty darn good but any higher and it gets boozy and overpowers the delicate fruit flavor. Some fruits like chokecherry can take a bit higher alcohol, but it still needs time to mellow for me, also.

I try to keep lighter fruit wines under 1.085 for an OG. It can be blended with other fruit wines if desired. It's simple math.

Those bases are designed to make either a 3 gallon "full strength" wine, or 5 gallons of diluted wine. I've done both with some of those bases, using sugar to up the OG. It works out fine, depending on the desired flavor. Since it's already diluted to 5 gallons, might as well boost the OG if desired.

Thanks for the info!!

Back