Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never been to DC, but my brother made the same comment when he went there a couple years ago. And something to the effect of "I kept expecting to see heavily-armed super-mutants at the Washington Memorial".

Wait, he didnt see them? They must have been off that day.

I played Dragon Age like my wife played AC... and I do not think I will get the new one. Sure it looks gorgeous on PS4 but I fear the game will be copy/pasted like the previous few. Before PS4 came out I sat down with the last Dragon Age and told myself I was going to get every trophy. Once I completed the first playthrough of the game, I realized I wasn't going to even get close unless I bought two expansions they had already released for it. So far, Battlefield 4 and Diablo 3 are the only two games I do not feel dirty about putting extra money into for the amount of game time I have on them, which is dwindling due to other hobbies such as the game of drink.

Never been to DC, but my brother made the same comment when he went there a couple years ago. And something to the effect of "I kept expecting to see heavily-armed super-mutants at the Washington Memorial".

Yeah, it is eerie how well they did designing that game. The whole thing to me is a masterpiece in terms of evoking a sense of dread, depravity and hopelessness. Like when you find some bomb shelter and you go in and there's just blood, guts and body parts smeared everywhere. Or when you happen upon some totally random event like a naked bandit encircled by other bandits and they are beating him, and he seems to be enjoying it. I wish they would release it for the XB1 but I know that will never happen.

Bethesda knows how to make amazing games, that's for sure. FO3 and Skyrim are 2 of the best games on the last generation of consoles. They are just so immersive. I read some interview when Skyrim came out and one of the developers said it would take about 300 hours to do everything in the game. That's impressive.

I can't wait for FO4 to actually get announced.

I can't wait for FO4 to actually get announced.

I used to be. Now, I am not so sure. It seems that once a gaming company gets it right anything after that becomes too repetitive, too familiar. New Vegas had the same play style but totally lacked the immersion of FO3. After playing FONV I am less enthusiastic about FO4's potential.

You guys ever fool around with Skyrim mods? I played on Xbox so couldn't, but saw some amazing YouTube vids

It's 90% nude women mods, but some of the others are pretty cool. The ones that kick up the graphics are nice, but you really need a beefy machine to run them.

Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 3 were developed by two different companies.

Yes, and given that they chose that direction it leaves me ambivalent about the next in the series. The series has improved with each subsequent release and change in developer. Bethesda owns the rights/license since FO3. They chose to let Obsidian develop NV, and Bethesda put it's name ion it. And, IMO, NV was not an improvement.

A similar fate has happened with Borderlands TPS. BL1 was cool, BL2 was amazing, BLTPS is meh. Tales may or may not redeem the series.

If Bethesda chooses to develope and publish FO4 it may make up for what NV lacks. If they don't it may spell the end of the series for my interests.

I think I am going to have to reinstall FO1 and 2 and play them through again. and again. and maybe again. I really liked the originals.

If it hadn't been for bows and crossbows, Skyrim would have probly' been lost on me. Never have been a fan of swordplay/mage games, but I do love the challenge of sneak based critical hits with a projectile weapon.

I've never been a fan of wizard/mage classes. I usually just play as a barbarian type and go with brute force, but I also picked a stealth class the 1st time I played through Skyrim. It was fun as hell. There's something particularly satisfying about bow-sniping an entire camp of bandits before they even know you're there.

Plus, you can get the perk that gives you a 15x damage multiplier on sneak dagger attacks. Combine that with the Dark Brotherhood gloves that give another 2x to stealth kills and you can take out most draugr before they wake up from their tombs.

I've never been a fan of wizard/mage classes. I usually just play as a barbarian type and go with brute force, but I also picked a stealth class the 1st time I played through Skyrim. It was fun as hell. There's something particularly satisfying about bow-sniping an entire camp of bandits before they even know you're there.

Plus, you can get the perk that gives you a 15x damage multiplier on sneak dagger attacks. Combine that with the Dark Brotherhood gloves that give another 2x to stealth kills and you can take out most draugr before they wake up from their tombs.

Def thief/sneak/bow are the best way to go. Don't slack on upgrading alchemy/enchanting/blacksmith combo...there's a way to make 2 million hit point bows. On one build I made I could take out a dragon with one arrow lol

Def thief/sneak/bow are the best way to go. Don't slack on upgrading alchemy/enchanting/blacksmith combo...there's a way to make 2 million hit point bows. On one build I made I could take out a dragon with one arrow lol

That was fun to play around with. You could make a potion that would increase your blacksmith and alchemy skills temporarily and that would in turn let you make super strong armor, weapons and potions. Then you could take those potions to increase your alchemy even more. You could make items that allowed you to carry pretty much anything you wanted, withstand any amount of damage and kill anything with one hit. It takes the fun out of the storyline but it is fun to play around with sometimes.

Such things are the reason I deleted my thief/assassin on Skyrim. After I joined the brotherhood and could stand in front of a group of bandits who were looking right at me, in the middle of the day, in the middle of a field... and could not see me because I was "sneaking"... that was enough. There was no more challenge.

I made a weird version of a monk to match the one I had on Oblivion. It took me a while to figure out how since there is no unarmed skill on the passive tree as far as weapons were concerned. There was however, iirc, a skill in the heavy armor path that allows you to do damage, unarmed, relative to your armor value. So eventually I used this along with some fun magic skills, alchemy and a little sneak (it's fun to reverse pickpocket and drop a paralyze poison in someones pocket). Later I took the gloves from those sewers that lead to the Thieves Guild (Ratway or something?) and disenchanted them. I think they were gloves of the brawler, on some dude down there that can punch ya out pretty good on harder difficulties. So..disenchant those, put it on a bunch of heavy armor. Walk around and thug people. There were surprisingly a decent amount of little cut scene kills for unarmed.

Sorry for lengthy post. Slow day at work. ^^^ This is fun though, if you play again its worth trying out.

That was fun to play around with. You could make a potion that would increase your blacksmith and alchemy skills temporarily and that would in turn let you make super strong armor, weapons and potions. Then you could take those potions to increase your alchemy even more. You could make items that allowed you to carry pretty much anything you wanted, withstand any amount of damage and kill anything with one hit. It takes the fun out of the storyline but it is fun to play around with sometimes.

Exactly :D

Such things are the reason I deleted my thief/assassin on Skyrim. After I joined the brotherhood and could stand in front of a group of bandits who were looking right at me, in the middle of the day, in the middle of a field... and could not see me because I was "sneaking"... that was enough. There was no more challenge.

I made a weird version of a monk to match the one I had on Oblivion. It took me a while to figure out how since there is no unarmed skill on the passive tree as far as weapons were concerned. There was however, iirc, a skill in the heavy armor path that allows you to do damage, unarmed, relative to your armor value. So eventually I used this along with some fun magic skills, alchemy and a little sneak (it's fun to reverse pickpocket and drop a paralyze poison in someones pocket). Later I took the gloves from those sewers that lead to the Thieves Guild (Ratway or something?) and disenchanted them. I think they were gloves of the brawler, on some dude down there that can punch ya out pretty good on harder difficulties. So..disenchant those, put it on a bunch of heavy armor. Walk around and thug people. There were surprisingly a decent amount of little cut scene kills for unarmed.

Sorry for lengthy post. Slow day at work. ^^^ This is fun though, if you play again its worth trying out.

A true master! I do remember this brawler guy in the sewers...he's fast too

I put Skyrim down for this very reason. Hearthfire DLC had no appeal to me and by time the DawnGuard DLC was out my character was way too powerful even for the harder setting. Half way into DawnGuard I put it away and deleted my character profiles ensuring that when the day comes that I pick it up again I will have to start over.

I put Skyrim down for this very reason. Hearthfire DLC had no appeal to me and by time the DawnGuard DLC was out my character was way too powerful even for the harder setting. Half way into DawnGuard I put it away and deleted my character profiles ensuring that when the day comes that I pick it up again I will have to start over.

It can be fun if you keep the difficulty up, although the added difficulties were a little out of control. I had that monk hybrid character built up into a brutal stomping machine and had zero issues until I turned it up to max difficulty. Went to find a bandit to test out my skills, got a little to close to a stream and got face-washed by a mudcrab.

I played Call of Duty like an addiction on Xbox, but now that their 'enforcement' team had busted on the scene like the Gestapo, I have unplugged and am selling it. I will be hitting up some black Friday spots for a new Playstation.

I'm looking forward to the new CoD, and some Assassins Creed. Any other games you guys know of that I should check out or stay away from?

Thief was very short and not very entertaining if you are looking to kill things.

Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition is an absolute must (if you are into action rpgs)

CoD: Advanced Warfare is like all the others except a little more frustrating due to exo-suits.

Battlefield 4 is the gift that keeps on giving.

Assassins Creed is the same as all the others.

The Evil Within is worth it if you enjoyed Resident Evil.

Otherwise, there are a ton of free games and cheap games through PS4 playstation plus store that you can rent / stream / buy but nothing is overly crazy for me. I didn't get a PS4 to play Minecraft and games that look like they were made for Atari. If that was the case I would go buy the Throwback Sega from the Drug Store for $40 that comes with 100 built in games and rock some of that Golden Axe.

I played Call of Duty like an addiction on Xbox, but now that their 'enforcement' team had busted on the scene like the Gestapo, I have unplugged and am selling it. I will be hitting up some black Friday spots for a new Playstation.

I'm looking forward to the new CoD, and some Assassins Creed. Any other games you guys know of that I should check out or stay away from?

Alien Isolation is amazing if you like low action, stealth, survival type gameplay.

The Evil Within has been somewhat disappointing and linear, IMO.

The Last of Us is the most talked about PS game I have heard about.

Agree for the most part with Gila but only differ due to tastes in games. I lean more towards the multiplayer games like CoD/Battlefield and rpg like Diablo/Skyrim. Story modes, campaigns and anything linear or scripted just loses me within minutes.

There are however, a lot of games that are coming relatively soon that I was originally hoping would be out when I bought the PS4. I can not wait for these but they are as far as I know, coming after the new year at least.

Dying Light looks sweet and I really don't care for zombie crap. Elder Scrolls online. The Order 1886. Next few months look promising.

Also, Titanfall, is a lot like what many are saying about COD:AW

Destiny still has my attention but I am not sure how much longer. I've finally reached Lvl 20 and the PvE is less frustrating, but PvP is still ridiculous. I dropped into a Crucible match last night and all I could do is run around. Most of the other players were Lvl 27 to Lvl 29 and were dropping me with a single shot.

You're not the first one to catch that trick. NSFW (language)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not the first one to catch that trick. NSFW (language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBiNx749Zw

Wow, I've never seen that but yeah that is what I was doing. What's with this guy though? If you are going to play the entire game just punching, do more than one punch! There are a myriad of punches you can do and he didn't do one of them. Cool to see it though, thanks.

And yeah Groutgauss... a lot of Diablo fans think its not as good as Diablo / Diablo 2 but.. they are high on nostalgia. D3 is the perfect 'get wasted on the couch with friends or significant other and play all night' game. Tons of replay value.

Handsome Jack is now a playable character in Borderlands Pre-Sequel

Saw that. My son is STOKED! He's been playing as claptrap and says it's crap.

I've been playing as teh LawBringer and have not been impressed.

Played BL2 as MechroMancer and really dug that character.

Was kinda hoping we'd see Tiny Tina as a playable character in BLTPS.

Wow, I've never seen that but yeah that is what I was doing. What's with this guy though? If you are going to play the entire game just punching, do more than one punch! There are a myriad of punches you can do and he didn't do one of them. Cool to see it though, thanks.

And yeah Groutgauss... a lot of Diablo fans think its not as good as Diablo / Diablo 2 but.. they are high on nostalgia. D3 is the perfect 'get wasted on the couch with friends or significant other and play all night' game. Tons of replay value.

D3 is god awful compared to D2 but is still fun for 20-40 hours of play and has more replay value than your typical console FPS. IMO Torchlight 2 is much better than D3 at a fraction of the cost.

Last 6 months I have been addicted to Space Engineers Alpha on Steam.
I racked up over 250 hours of play time on PVP servers; great little sandbox game.

Yes, Torchlight 2 is fantastic. Although, the over-arching story makes no sense whatsoever.

Cannot argue with that, however cannot really say that I have ever played an action RPG with a story that made any since.

D3 is god awful compared to D2 but is still fun for 20-40 hours of play and has more replay value than your typical console FPS. IMO Torchlight 2 is much better than D3 at a fraction of the cost.

My point exactly. He asked for PS4 suggestions. D2 was not on console and therefore we compare it to Diablo. Its the best ARPG for console right now on a console with slim options as it is. You are also slinging the Torchlight 2 stick around, when does that come out for PS4?

Im waiting for the UPS man to bring me Super Smash Bros. hopefully soon. :D

Anybody play Killing Floor, DayZ, Chivalry, Payday 2, or the Golf Club?
I'm looking for people to play with, add me on Steam : fitzflashguy

Just grudgingly picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition due to having little else to do during the holidays. It is, or at least seems to be, exactly what I expected. Near exact copy as the others. It does however look gorgeous on PS4. There are a lot more things to do so far, crafting, much much wider non-linear exploration. Actually, I didn't get to put in a ton of time but it has potential. Apparently it has multiplayer too. I am excited to see what this entails.

Just grudgingly picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition due to having little else to do during the holidays. It is, or at least seems to be, exactly what I expected. Near exact copy as the others. It does however look gorgeous on PS4. There are a lot more things to do so far, crafting, much much wider non-linear exploration. Actually, I didn't get to put in a ton of time but it has potential. Apparently it has multiplayer too. I am excited to see what this entails.

Ha. I too am interested in DA:I but all I hear about it is how good it looks on PS4. I don't have PS4 but if the gameplay is good I'd consider the game anyway. No one talks about that part.

Ha. I too am interested in DA:I but all I hear about it is how good it looks on PS4. I don't have PS4 but if the gameplay is good I'd consider the game anyway. No one talks about that part.

Sorry about that! I know I'm guilty of bad reviewing practices. I fear games that are linear, and the first ones were completely. You could make a new character and know if you went to a box in the third bedroom on the right you would find the same sword, etc. Can't stand that. So after about 10 hours of play, if it helps:

The World: seems to be almost completely open. You can travel anywhere that you've unlocked (through missions, war room operation and traveling) with fast travel and exploration, using a system quite similar to Skyrim. Monsters and resource nodes alike will respawn over, sometimes, a seemingly short period of time which can be great for crafting and difficult if you have it set on a challenging game mode. You can spend as little or as much time in an area as you want. I am probably on the second story quest after 10 hours but have completed ~30 or more. There are a massive amount of side quests.

The Combat: is similar to the last two, but cleaned up a lot. You no longer need to create elaborate tactical/behavioral directions for your party. You can simply give them favorite skills/spells that they will try to use first. The AI of the party is much more intelligent. This gives you more freedom to enjoy your main character, while at the same time having the option to go into a more time-based combat if you desire.

The Loot: is much more random than previous games. It ranges in rarity from Common (white) - Rare (blue) - Legendary? (purple). I got my first purple before I logged off, and it was just coated in stats. Even rare items come with open slots in most cases that you can insert reusable upgrades into. This essentially gives you the ability to customize every piece of gear you get and opens you up to the dreaded inventory battle of juggling space. Not always a bad thing if you are organized or know what you want.

The Crafting: is crazy compared to the first games. I am never a huge crafter at first but I took a look at it since my entire party found decent weapons and my main character still had his starting bow. Things were proving difficult so I went to craft a bow and ended up with a monster. Once you find a schematic you want, and I already have a huge collection of schematics, you can build the item. But it is the base item you make and it comes out depending on what materials you use to make it that come from a large amount of crafting supplies if you are an avid forager when in the wilderness. Armor - Weapons - Runes - Armor/Weapon Upgrade Items. It is all there.

Multiplayer: There is a lot I have not seen yet, obviously. But from someone who is very picky about games in this genre, it looks very promising and I can't wait to get back to it. I am most excited however, to delve into multiplayer and see what they have to offer. A brief glance at is showed about 12 classes to choose from (unlock-able after the starting 3 classes). Full inventory, crafting, shop, skill tree, quick matches and usual multiplayer options. The shop looked to include chests you could open containing randomized items for your characters. The chests ranged from Free - to a few hundred gold pieces (in game currency) - to platinum, I believe a currency you can buy with your hard earned people cash. Of course. It doesn't seem necessary, just an option.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the long post. I felt bad for my weak, opinionated vague response.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the long post. I felt bad for my weak, opinionated vague response.

It was very long, but I did read. :p

Unfortunately, your analogies to previous DA releases mean nothing to me because I have never played the game. Like you, lacking in things to keep my interest, I started looking at DA:I as it seems similar to Skyrim.

Your review has been helpful.

Back