Viability of warm Wyeast pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLR

Reaction score
So, I have a un-smacked Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire ale. Problem is it has been warm (70's) for about a week now...Long story. Anyway, I plan to try to make a starter with it this weekend. I guess the question is if I should make a bigger starter because of loss while warm. I'm planning a British pale ale, 5.5 gallons, shooting for OG of 1.046. Was going to do a 1 liter starter, not sure if I should do bigger now.
Thanks

Good point. Didn't think of that. Thanks!

Yeast actually will survive for a week at ambient temperature. After two weeks it does start to drop off.
Here are the details:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/abv-effects-on-yeast.html

To be on the safe side you could assume 50% viability, but I'm sure it's higher than that.

For 5.5 gallons of 1.046 you need about 175 billion cells. Assuming you have 50 billion in the package you would need 125 billion more. A starter with 125g of DME will get you there. That would be a 1 litter 1.050 starter which isn't bad.

Great link and great blog. Made the starter about an hour ago, we'll see...can't wait to brew this weekend.

Great link and great blog. Made the starter about an hour ago, we'll see...can't wait to brew this weekend.

Thanks! My book is going to be published this month which goes into more depth than the blog.

Latest posts

Back