Very quick favor....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a tool, and can't find my copy of Papa Charlie's Complete Joy of HB (the office is an absolute disaster right now). I'm trying to input the recipe to Good Life Pale Ale into ProMash (had to modify it to make it a partial mash/mostly-AG), but I don't remember the hops schedule. I know it has Fuggles and Kent Goldings, I checked at the HBS, I can't remember the amounts. Can someone do me a big favor and look it up real quick?

Much thanks!

yeah, I Googled first too, came up with nothing, that's when I asked. I don't know what the hell happened to it, I know it'll show up - BUT I WANNA PLAY WITH PROMASH!

Bird,

I have "The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing.". What section is the original recipe?

Beginers, Intermediate or AG?

I couldn't find the recipe, do your have the name right?

Do I have the wrong edition?

I guess never mind. You guys are quick!!!!

Has anybody made this recipe? Looked like a very straightforward pale ale, something fairly simple for my first PM. Plus, I felt like making something that was more of an everyday drinker.

I'm not sure what I'll do about dry-hopping. Missed the dry-hops when I was at the store. I've got an extra ounce of Cascade kicking around, not sure if that would be appropriate for this brew or not.

I'm drinking Walker's IPA, dry-hopped with Cascades - it's frickin' awesome. Just not sure how it would blend with the other hops.

I don't think I'll use the Cascades in this brew, though. I'm really intrigued by these Kent Goldings; they almost seem to have a chocolately bitterness to them. I'd kinda like to see how that comes out in the brew, I don't want to hide that behind any other hops. I probably won't bother dryhopping this one.

I have a recipe I'm going to try soon that expresses the hop additions in AAUs (Alpha Acid Units) instead of ounces. The guy at the homebrew store told me that the Alpha Acid percentage of a particular hop species can vary from one crop to the next, so you should calculate the amount of hops to use for any recipe based on the AA percentage.

Example:

I bought a two ounce package of Northern Brewer pelletized hops that's rated at 9.3% alpha acid, and a two ounce package of pelletized Cascade hops that are rated at 6.4%. The recipe I'm going to use on my next brew calls for 6 AAUs of Northern Brewer at two different times during the boil, plus 4 AAUs of Cascade later on.

The HBS guy said Alpha Acid times ounces = AAU's (or HBU's)

so solving for ounces, it's AAUs divided by AA = ounces.

6 AAU's of Northern Brewer at 9.3% AA works out as 6/9.3 = .645 ounces for each of the two additions of this hop.

4 AAU's of Cascade at 6.4% AA works out as 4/6.4 = .625 ounces

How can a recipe simply specify the hops in ounces, given that AA% can vary from crop to crop, and yield consistent results?

Back