Very dumb mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndtyank49

Reaction score
Ok i'm pretty I should throw out this brew I got going....

I used rubbing alc in my air lock (my mom got very mad I was using her vodka). This brew fermented very fast the CO2 caused the top to blow off, and at least half of the rubbing alc got mixed into the brew... :'(

I'm pretty sure i should dump it. What do the experts think?

Its fine. What would that be 1 tbsp of alcohol in 5 gallons beer? Its not like the rubbing alcohol would have bacteria in it, either.

google search shows its not good for you....... I think I would chuck it, your health is too important. but on second thought, I'm not sure how you know that half got mixed in with the brew. I cant imagine how any got in there with the circumstances you described

I would taste it if it taste like rubbing alcohol or something just as vile then chuck it. If it tastes good or like it should then hold on to it

Rubbing alcohol evaporates very quickly, and not sure how it could get into the beer from a blow-off either. If half is missing, it probably just spilled and evaporated.

Oh shizz what a bummer. I say throw it out. Why spend days/weeks worrying about it? It's tough but brew a fresh batch.
Good Luck!

For next time, the cheap, store-brand, rotgut vodka works just fine, and nobody wants to drink it. It even *smells* like rubbing alcohol. ;)

don't throw it away unless it tastes like rubbing alcohol. it sounds like it might not even have gotten sucked in

agree with the majority here... Chances are the rubbing alcohol got carried away with the blow off, and if it truly did get sucked back in, what is 2 or 3 tablespoons in a few gallons of beer.

Next time fill the airlock with Starsan or Vodka or use a blow off tube and forget it.

Remember kitty ducockus? She drank rubbing alc just fine. I wouldn't worry either way. It's prob not in your beer, it's also not cyanide.

Let it ride and taste it in a week. I'll bet if it got in there you'd never even notice it. I wouldn't risk wasting a whole batch on a hunch!

Back