[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Version as from command: 11 (bullseye)

sudo pip install pymysql
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple, https://www.piwheels.org/simple
Requirement already satisfied: pymysql in /usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages (1.0.2)

I originally tried with no modifications to Python (left at 3.9) everything worked except I got the exact same result as described.

I then noticed latest install did not come with 2.7, I installed this and set so that it would call 2.7, I saw that load cells were not tested with Python 3, and thought that could be the cause. So I will also provide more info:

I also force installed the last version of pymysql that work with 2.7.
pyserial also did not install, but this I was able to just use pip like below to do it.

pi@raspberrypints:/etc $ python --version
Python 2.7.18

pi@raspberrypints:/etc $ python -m pip install pymysql
DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 reached the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 is no longer maintained. pip 21.0 will drop support for Python 2.7 in January 2021. More details about Python 2 support in pip can be found at Release process - pip documentation v22.3.dev0 pip 21.0 will remove support for this functionality.
Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not writeable
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple, https://www.piwheels.org/simple
Requirement already satisfied: pymysql in /home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages (0.10.1)

Thank you by the way, you are quite prompt.

Can you back up to Buster?
OK I am getting data on my load cells now and the log appears to be working. The keg column isn't showing though. It was turned off in the configuration menu, so I turned it back on. Also made some changes to how the beer color is displayed, but nothing changed. No keg column and beer color is the same.
I did a refresh and also cleared cache as well as checked from a different device.
I will search on the forum, but wanted to update you.

I saw that load cells were not tested with Python 3, and thought that could be the cause
correct not tested but your error occurred is outside of the load cells in the main python code for all RPints. Even if you didnt have load cells that error should have occurred, but from your outputs of version and attempt to install pymysql, it did exist as a module.

Currently Rpints tries the python 2.x approach to mysql and if that fails falls back on 3.x approach and uses that. I currently have python 3.9 install on my Pi 3 and its working fine so im really confused.

Maybe i need to update to latest on my pi and test again which is 50/50 this weekend.

correct not tested but your error occurred is outside of the load cells in the main python code for all RPints. Even if you didnt have load cells that error should have occurred, but from your outputs of version and attempt to install pymysql, it did exist as a module.

Currently Rpints tries the python 2.x approach to mysql and if that fails falls back on 3.x approach and uses that. I currently have python 3.9 install on my Pi 3 and its working fine so im really confused.

Maybe i need to update to latest on my pi and test again which is 50/50 this weekend.
I can throw another pi at it, would be a 3b+ though if you want extra eyes. The same error occurred prior to me adding 2.7 to the mix. It also occurred on my first attempt on a fresh install. I should have mentioned. If I ran python I could import it, no error. It does seem to be a bug, but going back a version definitely solved it. I will note that I did my first full install a couple weeks ago and it still had python 2.7 on it, same errors. Last one i did, did not, only 3.9
When I told it to install the load cells it did error out. Reinstall did not provide any error. I also found this peculiar.

When I told it to install the load cells it did error out. Reinstall did not provide any error. I also found this peculiar.
Finally got a new Pi OS installed and tested, the error is with the installer. If you dont install flowmeters and skip to load cells it didnt use the correct packages and therefore never installed pymysql.

I updated the installer now. if you run
sudo pip install pymysql
it should add it. otherwise feel free to start all over, though the installer assumes RPints is installed if certain files exists so its best to start completely over

Hi
What's the best plan of install if no load cells or flowmeters are going to be used but I have raspberry pi os bullseye installed?
Is it compatible with 64 bit version and will the version make much difference. Kodi only seems to run well on the bullseye now and that's the other application I basically use on the pi I intend to put pints on.
Thanks

What's the best plan of install if no load cells or flowmeters are going to be used but I have raspberry pi os bullseye installed?
from the terminal
curl -L install.rpints.com | sudo base

It will prompt you what you want to install (Flowmeters/mqtt/load cells) and just enter N for the features you dont want.

from the terminal

It will prompt you what you want to install (Flowmeters/mqtt/load cells) and just enter N for the features you dont want.
Thank you I'll get on with that today.
Doesn't matter if 64 bit or 32 bit install of the OS?

from the terminal

Had a few issues as it didn't know what base was.

This worked

curl -L install.rpints.com | sudo bash

An update, it's installed and I'm filling in beer entries on the tap list and other parameters.
When I save that and logout, I have a screen with the login menu. How do I get the Raspberry pints page up ( the front page ) with the beer information that I've filled in?

An update, it's installed and I'm filling in beer entries on the tap list and other parameters.
When I save that and logout, I have a screen with the login menu. How do I get the Raspberry pints page up ( the front page ) with the beer information that I've filled in?
Remove the \admin at the end or just go to http:\\localhost or whatever the static IP is of the Pi

I seem to have set raspberry pints up so that it automatically opens on boot of the pi.
How do I disable it so I just open a browser and then open the pints webpage?
I've noticed that if I reboot I can select another program or terminal window in the few moments before pints opens. Once it does start though I can't seem to get the pints screen off the screen is there a key combo that shuts pints down?

How do I disable it so I just open a browser and then open the pints webpage?
Check /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart or if that file doesnt exists check /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
for
@chromium --kiosk localhost

you can just delete that line
key combo that shuts pints down?
I use Alt + F4 to close the browser, F11 should also exit full screen mode

Check /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart or if that file doesnt exists check /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
for
@chromium --kiosk localhost

you can just delete that line

I use Alt + F4 to close the browser, F11 should also exit full screen mode
Thank you I'll have a look at that tonight, I selected automatically start chromium I think when I set it up which was my downfall.
If I had a Pi 4 can I run pints on one monitor and something else on the other?

Hi, I just added flowmeters + Arduino Uno (what I had laying around) to my raspi via USB. I am running RnR Rpints on a fresh install of the latest version of Pi with flow meters enabled.

Flowmeter runs to a bread board with red getting 5v from arduino, black to ground, and yellow to arduino pin 4.

Pours aren't showing nor the amount remaining. Where can I start troubleshooting?

Is this config even supported or do I need an alamode board instead?

Last edited:
That configuration should work fine, there's no real dependency on using an Alamode, and in fact an Uno provides more meter-capable IO pins than an Alamode...

Cheers!

Pours aren't showing nor the amount remaining.
check /var/log/rpints.log make sure there are no errors there.

You can also set config['dispatch.debug' ] and config['flowmon.debug' ] from False#True to just True in <WWWRoot>/python/Config.py and restart rpints (sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon restart) to see more diagnostics in that log file

Should I be using /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyS0 in my config file if connecting to arduino over USB?

Here's what I see in the rpints.log file:
2022-09-26 16:51:43 RPINTS: Arduino says: C:1:4:0:300:200:30:250:0:0:1|
2022-09-26 16:51:43 RPINTS: listening to Arduino
2022-09-26 16:51:43 RPINTS: Sending Status;N;-1;0;0;|
2022-09-26 16:52:46 RPINTS: RT L 4 0 63132 62831 301 300 137 200
2022-09-26 16:52:46 RPINTS: Sending Status;N;-1;0;0;|

The flow meter is plugged into Pin4 on the Arduino, so am I assuming the "RT L 4" refers to this?

"RT L 4" refers to this
RT = Reset Tap
L = Limit (Time limit reached)
4 = Pin
0 = Tap index (0 based so tap 1)
63132 = Current Clock time
62831 = Last clock time pulse was recorded
301 = Difference in milliseconds
300 = Configured timeout (in milliseconds)
137 = recorded Pulses
200 = Configured threshold to record pour

So by that trace you only had 137 pulses in 301 milliseconds which is not enough for it to record a pour.

Were you running beer through the meter? If so how was the flow?

I poured a solo cup full of beer. Flow is a little slow, I can increase pressure a bit.

Up and running thanks to RandR+ install script - what format must the yeast temperature range be - it tells me to enter a valid number but won't accept 12 or 15

it tells me to enter a valid number but won't accept 12 or 15
Not that it matters, but What is your unit of measure for Temperature?

1664422771636.png

I ran a local test and found the same results that 12 and 15 didnt work for Fahrenheit but it doesnt make sense because the code isnt checking a range of nubmers just that the text is a number. Will look into more

it tells me to enter a valid number but won't accept 12 or 15
Ok i found the issue, the script was checking hidden inputs for validation which failed but showed up on the visible input. If you rerun the installer it will have an option to update, run that option and you will get the fix

Hi everyone, thanks for the installation and the others explications all along the thread... I finally installed rpints with flowmeters, temp and RFID, next step I would like to add some valves to finalize the system, I have 3 taps. What is better to do with a raspberry pi and Arduino uno r3 (and the 3 flowmeters also) ? To put some power supply to the uno (9V) for the 3 valves maybe ? And where do I plug the valves exactly? Or Is it better to use electrical relay ? Especially with some 12v valves maybe, I don't have the valves yet, I don't know what kind is the best. And with the hardware do I need to activate some things in Rpints? Or some script to open the valves with RFID and maybe a red/green led, or is it already includes?

add some valves
I have these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016MP1HX0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a 12v power supply for the Pi that I also use for the valves through relays.
The relay triggers are plugged into the Pi, the shield will tell the Pi to turn them on or off. You can connect the relay trigger to the shield directly I dont have enough pins on it though.

You can control the valves through the tap page (turn on or off) or RPints will use your RFID reader will trigger them to open for a configurable amount of time through the tap page
1667229121162.png

Oooooh thanks, I'm really interested with the 12v power supply, I think it is the best way to handle relays and flowmeter and valves... Can I have more details about that, what kind, the connections and others stuffs please, if it is not to much to ask? And i see that the programmation directly in Rpints is easy... Thanks for that by the way...

Can I have more details about that, what kind, the connections and others stuffs please
The power supply description is Culver LED AC 110V-240V To DC 12V 8.3A(100W) Switching Power Supply Regulated Power Transformer Adapter for Industrial Automation, LED Strips,CCTV,Rad
the relay is JBtek DC 5V 8 Channel Relay Module & 40 Pin Female-Female Dupont Cable for Arduino Raspberry Pi DSP AVR PIC ARM
they are no longer on amazon to give you a link.

I use a 12v to 5v converter to power the relay board and my pi (cut usb cable). I connected basic wire from the other set to power the relays.
The positive feeds all the commons of the relays. the negative gets split to the valves using push to connect fittings (instead of wire nuts since I have 8 valves)

The relay board came with pinned ribbon wire that made connecting the pi to the board very easy. I had to connect the ground from the pi to the relay board otherwise the relays would not turn on.

Noice ! Thanks for the details, very interesting and something that I have in mind, I will try to connect all of that when i'll receive my valves ;)

And i have a question about Rpints, especially for the bottles, I understand that is used for the taps mostly but is there a way to have like several buttons for the same beer (in the same ligne) but for different type of bottles (12oz, 16oz...or more) instead of have to put the same beer with differents bottles, I don't know if it understandable or if I missed something, but I find the "click on the beer" for the bottles very useful to track the remaining bottles once you pick a beer, but if you have 3 or 4 kind of bottles with differents volumes for each beer, there is also 3 or 4 lignes for that... And if you have more beers... I could be a lot of lignes for the bottles...

Back