[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the last line of the jessie-setup script didn't execute?
It's supposed to allow all access levels to execute the files in the path as the file owner.

Here's the whole jessie-setup script. I'd check permissions on any path listed...

Code:
#!/bin/bash
cp avrdude /usr/bin/avrdude
cp avrdude /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools
cp avrdude.conf  /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools
cp boards.txt  /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino
sed -i'bk' -e's/console=ttyAMA0,115200.//' -e's/kgdboc=tty.*00.//'  /boot/cmdline.txt
systemctl stop [email protected]
systemctl disable [email protected]
cp 80-alamode.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
chown root /usr/bin/avrdude /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude
chgrp root /usr/bin/avrdude /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude
chmod a+s /usr/bin/avrdude /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude

Cheers!

They all seem ok, this is what they look like if i check them. I tried rerunning jessie-setup and also ran the lines individually, still the same.
Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 3.03.09 PM.png

Strange. Fortunately you only need the IDE briefly for this project, and hopefully whatever is messing with that port's availability won't affect the getting data out of the Alamode.

Press onward. If you run into a show-stopper it might reveal what's going on...

Cheers!

Strange. Fortunately you only need the IDE briefly for this project, and hopefully whatever is messing with that port's availability won't affect the getting data out of the Alamode.

Press onward. If you run into a show-stopper it might reveal what's going on...

Cheers!
No joy :( about to reformat card and start again

Ugh. Never like to see that.
Consider doing a check-pointed build using a second SD card to do a full backup after a major stage of the build is accomplished...

Cheers!

Anyone have any suggestions on clarifying the install screen? Here is the new version with a few changes I made in the hopes of clarifying things. I also added logic to check if everything is prevent when the Setup! button is clicked. Processing will not continue unless are values are supplied.
RPints-Setup-1.jpg

RPints-Setup-2.jpg

Looking great mate! I'll run the install on my dev system tonight when I get home. Love your work!

Walking thru testing things and I'm not getting any existing data. During install I checked the load sample data. phpMyAdmin shows data in the tables. Time to debug...

Discover the function db() sets $link, but the variable is local in scope. I guess the prior version of php handled variable scope differently than php 7.x At least I see what is happening.

Well if anything at least I am consistent. I formatted and started from scratch with my install, was methodical in my steps and checked all results for errors. I still have the same result with the menu greyed out in Arduino IDE except when I run as root. I will try again tomorrow with a newer pi as I have several floating around. Would love to understand root cause. I believe some other service on the device is trying to use the serial rather than it being a permission issue.

Pretty friggin' cool!

Thanks. php, MariaDB, etc are not difficult. Doing maintenance programming on existing code is, however, challenging. I must put myself in the developer (or in this case the developers) mindsets. Feel as if I'm a doctor operating on a patient. I don't want the patient to die. When I'm finished operating (modifying code) I want the patient to stand up and walk.

I did fix a number of programming errors and inefficient code in the original RPints code.

For the most part the code is lacking any error checking/trapping. That's the next task for me.

I dont understand why this hasnt been made as an app or program that runs on a normal desktop. Looks great and something I would most definately use, but buying a $100 raspberry pi seems unnecessary. Can this not be setup with a simple android tablet?

Umm ya all the kits I see on amazon are $100 and even in his guide he states its about $100 after all the cables, sd card, etc. I would think a rooted android should be able to load pretty much anything. Would like to show his program directly on my tablet or control it with my nividia shield

I am not crazy familar with the pi, I own a lot of android devices, I would think if I can run emulators and .iso files I would be able to run this with the proper software

fwiw, the pricing shown on the RaspberryPints web site is quite dated and overstates the cost of most components. A Pi Zero W is all you need if you're not going to run flow meters. Full kits with case/wall wart/micro-to-mini USB and HDMI adapters for $27 delivered via Amazon. Add an SD card for $8 and you're in business. Once the Zero W is loaded up and running one can display the tap list on anything with a browser...including a tablet...

Cheers!

I have downloaded the zip file on my phone/tablet. Is there a program that can run this zip? I mean I have a rooted and kodi programmed. There has to be some type of android software that can run this zip file without connecting to a pc. I can literally get anything
Sorry cant help you on how to unzip it without a pc, seem like there should be app somewhere to do that.

fwiw, the pricing shown on the RaspberryPints web site is quite dated and overstates the cost of most components. A Pi Zero W is all you need if you're not going to run flow meters. Full kits with case/wall wart/micro-to-mini USB and HDMI adapters for $27 delivered via Amazon. Add an SD card for $8 and you're in business. Once the Zero W is loaded up and running one can display the tap list on anything with a browser...including a tablet...

Cheers!
Keep in mind I am in Canada and with exchange it is about 30%, regardless with a bit of looking around I am sure we can find something to boot this. On playnow store there is php/mysql/apach apps and there is also git loaders but I am just not familar with this technology as stated above.
Sorry cant help you on how to unzip it without a pc, seem like there should be app somewhere to do that.
Theres lots of unzipping programs, I can unzip the file I just need something to load the repo. I quickly tried a few things on kodi with no luck

PLEASE HELP!

A few years ago I picked up everything I need to make a digital taplist w/o flow meters and tried my best to follow the directions. After yelling at my computer for countless hours I through in the towel and gave up. Well now I’m giving it another try and could use any advice on how to make it past step 6.

In step 4 “Install the LAMP stack” I get this message

Reading package lists… Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information… Done

Package Php5 is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another souce

Package Php5-mysql is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another souce

E: Package ‘php5’ has no installation candidate

E: Package “php5-mysql” has no installation candidate.

I attempt to delete the Apache page and get the error message so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

When I attempt step 7, I go to the IP address 10.0.0.181 and I get the error message “cannot open page because it could not connect to the server.”

I have started over countless times even reformatting the card and starting completely over. Why cant someone just sale this thing all downloaded and all I have to do is log in and connect it to my wifi and go…haha!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also thanks to everyone who has already contributed so much to this thread.

PLEASE HELP!

A few years ago I picked up everything I need to make a digital taplist w/o flow meters and tried my best to follow the directions. After yelling at my computer for countless hours I through in the towel and gave up. Well now I’m giving it another try and could use any advice on how to make it past step 6.

In step 4 “Install the LAMP stack” I get this message

Reading package lists… Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information… Done

Package Php5 is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another souce

Package Php5-mysql is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another souce

E: Package ‘php5’ has no installation candidate

E: Package “php5-mysql” has no installation candidate.

I attempt to delete the Apache page and get the error message so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

When I attempt step 7, I go to the IP address 10.0.0.181 and I get the error message “cannot open page because it could not connect to the server.”

I have started over countless times even reformatting the card and starting completely over. Why cant someone just sale this thing all downloaded and all I have to do is log in and connect it to my wifi and go…haha!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also thanks to everyone who has already contributed so much to this thread.
Hi, You need to download the older version on Noobs v2_4_2, there is a link in the forum somewhere as php5 has been replaced with php7 on the version you have. Once you install that start again but use the alterations which are listed by Day_Tripper elsewhere in this forum. Go to page one, second post and there is a link to the updated instructions. I am still working on mine as I have had a couple of issues but that's where you need to start

Hi, You need to download the older version on Noobs v2_4_2, there is a link in the forum somewhere as php5 has been replaced with php7 on the version you have. Once you install that start again but use the alterations which are listed by Day_Tripper elsewhere in this forum. Go to page one, second post and there is a link to the updated instructions. I am still working on mine as I have had a couple of issues but that's where you need to start

location of jessie noobs
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...-taplist-solution.487694/page-80#post-8187169

Well if anything at least I am consistent. I formatted and started from scratch with my install, was methodical in my steps and checked all results for errors. I still have the same result with the menu greyed out in Arduino IDE except when I run as root. I will try again tomorrow with a newer pi as I have several floating around. Would love to understand root cause. I believe some other service on the device is trying to use the serial rather than it being a permission issue.

By chance see the notes in flow_monitor.py? (in the python folder).

#The following line is for serial over GPIO
port = '/dev/ttyS0'
#The following line is for serial over USB
#port = '/dev/ttyACM0'

# Edit this line to point to where your rpints install is
poursdir = '/var/www' <-- THIS is wrong as a normal install is /var/www/html

Following might provide debugging help
#Uncomment next for lines for debugging
#print "Pour:"
#print " - Addr : "+hex(MCP_ADDR)
#print " - Pin : "+str(MCP_PIN)
#print " - Count: "+str(POUR_COUNT)
#print " - Ounces: "+str(POUR_COUNT / 165)
#print " - Mliters: "+str(MLITERS)

Also comments in the python\flowmon file
# Change the next 3 lines to suit where you install your script and what you want to call it
DIR=/var/www/python <-- once again normal RPints install is /var/www/html so this line is /var/www/html/python
DAEMON=$DIR/flow_monitor.py
DAEMON_NAME=RPFlowMon

# The process ID of the script when it runs is stored here:
PIDFILE=/var/run/$DAEMON_NAME.pid

Back