[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your supposition is true that you could use an Uno with USB connection, does that also mean that you could use Bluetooth to separate the Uno with the meters attached from the Pi? I could see that being very convenient for many installations.

Yes and yes but you need to run wheezy and you need a pi2b or earlier

Yes, at least until raspbian.org implements more than the minimal profile set that Jessie includes (I think there are just two profiles so far - neither of which is SPP) Serial Over Bluetooth is the province of Wheezy...

Cheers!

Just so you all know it looks like there will be a new update coming soon. Check out RaspberryPints Facebook page!!!

Quick question, i am trying to find any information non how to be able to put text in the tap number area. Went to the pints Facebook and he said dig through here or post for people have a backdoor work around. Well A LOT of reading i figured i would just post

Thanks in advance

Quick question, i am trying to find any information non how to be able to put text in the tap number area. Went to the pints Facebook and he said dig through here or post for people have a backdoor work around. Well A LOT of reading i figured i would just post

Thanks in advance

You can edit that info in the index.php file.

Holy sheet!

After running into multiple walls, I finally (FINALLY!) got RaspberryPints working with an actual AlaMode on an RPi2 using Raspbian Jessie.

What turned the trick is so stupid I can't believe it: raspbian.org literally turned off the RPiB/RPi2B hardware serial port by default (#%$@%$! efftards!) to get the friggin' RPi3 out the door. And even if you hammer on the enable setting in raspi-config (either the command line version or the new gui version) that serial port refused to be enabled.

Edit /boot/config.txt

Change enable_uart=0 to a g'damned 1, reboot, and you're in!

Honest to gawd I'm so stabby right now :mad:

Well, ok, there are a few other minor bits to set right along the way, but this last, totally gating one was hiding in plain sight all the while, and until I stumbled onto the one person in the entire WebO'Sphere that actually mentioned it, this effort was totally in limbo.

Sigh...

ANYWAY...there's more: RaspberryPints works just fine using an Uno instead of an AlaMode.
And - duh - the authors had the key switch in the code all along.

Edit /var/www/python/flow_monitor.py

Notice the following quartet of lines:

#The following line is for serial over GPIO
#port = '/dev/ttyS0'
#The following line is for serial over USB
port = '/dev/ttyACM0'

/dev/tty/S0 is for the AlaMode
/dev/ttyACM0 for a legit Uno

Either works just fine. And as the script is so tiny, unless one runs into pin count limitations for larger tap counts, I expect any Arduino would also work...

Cheers!

[edit] I should add that the above should work with any RPi aside from the RPi3. The RPi3 used the hardware serial port for the on-board Bluetooth radio, leaving only a software serial port that has its "UART" clock tied to the system clock (stupid engineer trick), which at least to this point has made it wholly unreliable (system clock changes with workload and temperature) unless one freezes the system clock to a fixed frequency.

<sarcastic golf claps>

The Arduino is used only for counting pulses from the flow meters, right?

Have you considered using a Dallas 1-wire counter, DS2423? Unfortunately it is obsolete and hard to find these days, however you can emulate one on an ATtiny microcontroller:
https://www.tm3d.de/index.php/1-wire-device-mit-avr

Since it's a 1-wire device it's easy to hook up and interrogate. Each one can count pulses from two devices.

I have made one of the ATtiny ones and it works (for a different project).

It looks like the software is modular enough that the counting portion could be replaced easily.

That would require 3 modules for my 6 faucet keezer, instead of one Arduino.
Don't see that as a win.

The only real concern is not missing ticks, and having enough inputs for the number of taps.
Beyond that nearly anything that can count and push terse packets to the host would work...

Cheers!

Ok, I have read through this entire thread and have a question. Given I have little to no programing skills what is the likelihood that I could get this up and running? It seems like a lot of folks have troubles or it could be that those that are successful don&#8217;t post. How hard is this for a non-programer?

Thanks.

We've helped lots of folks with little to no intrinsic hardware or software abilities get to the finish line, so as long as you can follow directions you should be okay.

You could start by reviewing the blow-by-blow installation procedure found here.
Pick the one that corresponds to your goal, walk through it, and see how you feel about it.

I will add that since RaspberryPints was authored under an older Raspbian Unix OS ("Wheezy") than what is most current ("Jessie") there are a small handful of changes that would need to be incorporated if you install under the latter...

Cheers!

Hello guys

What is the process to change the screen resolution for kiosk mode for iceweasel? I have 5 beers on tap and a 17" monitor. Only 4 beers show

Thanks in advance

On the same page of the setup where you set the resolution. You'll see a link to another page that will list all of the different resolutions, hdmi modes and groups. It worked for me to set it to my screen size. But I also did some CSS modding to trim it down further.

5Ra8WcD.jpg

Here it is. Just under all of the green boxes you'll see the link.
http://raspberrypints.com/byo/step-3-operating-system-configuration/

Help! I can't log into RaspberryPints.

I just finished setting up RaspberryPints. When I tried to log in I keep getting the message wrong user name or password. I tried clicking of forgottend password and then on Forgot login name. When it displays the user name it shows nothing. I have tried logging on leaving the user name blank but it still didn't work. I have also reset the password but that also did not help.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Alan

When you installed mysql it asked for a password.
That's for user 'root'.
So you open the gui as root with whatever password you gave it during the installation...

Cheers!

Anyone managed to get phpMyAdmin running under Jessie and able to open/browse the Raspberrypints MySQL database?

I'm having a ***** of a time with this, and the phpmyadmin web site is not helping...

Cheers!

Is there a way to use the software to control the temp inside of keezer/kegerator? I don't know how to code but I was thinking is you can hook up a one wire temp probe and then wire up the PI to an outlet with a SSR and such. You could have the readout and controls on the main page or sub page. Hooking up a temp prob is pretty simple 3 wires and a 4k resistor. That part I can do..the rest with the under the hood code I'm at a loss.

I understand it doesn't have that functionality. But then again BrewPI doesn't have a tap list. So are you saying stay out of my yard and I'll stay out of yours with that kind of incorporation. Even a simple temp prob with a readout would be a nice feature to have on the tap list.

lol! Not at all, but you're asking for functionality that is frankly out of scope of this project - by a lot. It's only ever aspired to be a metered tap list, and while some of us have added bells and whistles to it, including five channel temperature loggers, motion detectors, etc, it's only to enhance that tap list mission.

There's a plethora of temperature controller applications available that can run on the same platform, BrewPi being the most notable/available. I run four separate instances of BrewPi on the same RPi2B that runs my RaspberryPints fully-metered six tap list, controlling my keezer and three chambers.

So, sure, one could ask the RaspberryPints authors to include temperature control on the next spin (check them out on Facebook) and hope for the best, or you could look at the alternatives...

Cheers!

Just rebuilt my system. Again. With Wheezy and it went smoothly. If I can figure out a way I will do it one more time and make an image file that others can use as a starting point. Anyone know of a site that will hold an image file for a while even if people don't download it for a bit? Also, how large is your installation total? I want to see if I can do this with a minimal image size

I use 16GB cards on all of my RPi's. The Wheezy system that runs the back-end of my brewery, keezer and tap list, shows just 6 GB of free space. Otoh, my Jessie development system so far has just 'Pints and BrewPi and my temperature logger running, and it shows 9.6 free.

So, figure your minimum footprint is going to be close to 6 GB.

If you use a block-level cloner like win32diskimager the image file will be the full capacity of the source SD card, so a 16GB card is going to produce a 16GB image file. But, if you run that image file through a zipper or RAR, iirc the archive size is going to be between 2 and 3 GB.

Leaving aside the still-sizeable download thing, you might be able to park a file of that size on Google Drive and share the link to it.

Just for grins, I created a rar archive of one of my backup images (2.9 GB) and am uploading it to my Google Drive. They're throttling their end so this is going to take a good 10 minutes to see if it works. I'll update when it reaches a conclusion, one way or the other...

Cheers!

[edit] lol! I missed an 8X multiplier in my math. At ~5Mbits/second it's actually going to take 80 minutes to upload this file.
Damned Google throttling uploads. WTH?
I'm going to leave my system running just to see if it finishes.
It's times like this that I question the value of having 100Mbit symmetric service...

[edit2] Good Morning! That ~ 3GB archive finished uploading to my Google Drive, so it can be done.

Sweet thanks. I figure it may be a nice alternative to have ready to go versions of the project available. I am just not sure how different the settings would be for different models of pi.

Ok weird question. In all the times I have set up rpints, I have never had this problem. Accidentally jostled the power cable today and upon it rebooting, none of my kegs, beers or taps remained. Any clue which step I skipped or did I accidentally flip the write protect on the SD card?

Does the tap list itself display properly?
I'm guessing probably not, and if that's true, the database might have been open and got borked.

If the problem doesn't resolve with another reboot, see if there's still the file /var/lib/mysql/ibdata1.
ibdata1 is the MySQL database for R'Pints.
If it's gone missing you're probably going to have to re-execute the post-installation procedure again.

btw/fwiw, "piclone" works on Wheezy...

Cheers! ("What's it gonna take to put you folks in the seat of this 2016 SD Card Backup process?" ;))

That's the weird part. The tables for the beers, taps and kegs all appear to clear at a shutdown or restart command. It's like it runs fine, adds info but does not commit and save the tables. /var/lib/mysql/ is empty.

I even tried restoring from the backup image I made after setting everything up and before I added any info (I used the same win32 disk image I used to write Wheezy to the card, 0.95 I believe). The only thing I can think is backing it up may have borked it up somehow.

Will have to check out piclone

This has been driving me nuts for a couple years but finally found why the fields did not auto-populate when tapping a keg. When I create a beer, I add the brewers name, press enter and add a description in the Beer notes.

The newline causes a problem in tap_form.php. The variable beerList which is a JSON string has a newlines which breaks the function to populate the beers fields for the new tap.

I tried hacking the javascript but don't know what I am doing. A code fix would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Yeah, apparently hard enters and tabs and that sort of character breaks it. I believe it was pointed out a little after version 2.01 was released

I searched for this issues in various ways but never crafted it well enough to see if there were prior reports so I eventually resorted to posting here.

I tried to filter newlines in the PHP code for both when the database was read and before the data conversion to JSON. Neither worked using my simplistic google search results. I also tried to replace newlines with "<br>" but as the data is treated as preformatted text that wouldn't work anyway.

For now, I edited all my beers in the database and manually nuked all the archived beers as well. I just don't get the notes to display the way I want them.

Cheers!

Reinstalled once again. Everything is persisting this time. Also finally got my motion sensor hooked up and working well, though I haven't been able to dial it back to less than 10 feet sensitivity. I can live with that though. Used day trippers suggestion of pi clone and it worked great. I think. Will test it later. I'm sick of screwing with it.

The newline and tab and other special character thing was mentioned more than 100 pages back. It is kinda crappy, but I can understand how special characters can screw stuff like this up. Coding around it can be a real pain too and from what I have seen the project appears to have accomplished it's goal and has ceased being developed as such.

I've had days like ^that^. I feel your aggro ;)

fwiw, I believe the person who forked Raspberry Pints mentioned way back in this thread he had a fix for the "Special Characters" issue in the Notes pane.

It's back there somewhere...

Cheers!

[edit] Found it. Capt'n Delta post.

Reader's Digest Version:

Edit /var/www/admin/includes/functions.php.

When you're done, it should look like this:

Code:
<?php
function redirect($url){
	echo "<script>window.location = '$url';</script>";
	exit();
}

function encode($string){
	$string = str_replace(array("\n", "\r"), '', $string);
	$string = htmlentities ($string, ENT_QUOTES);
	return $string;
	}

btw, what that code does is basically null out hard returns and tabs...

Yep. Works as advertised. I was just starting my search. Thanks greatly for digging up the code.

Cheers!

fwiw, I have the motion sensor and xscreensaver running on an RPI2B/Jessie platform.

The only change was the autostart location.
Instead of /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart,
you edit
/home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

Add the same 'sudo python pir_run.py' to the bottom.
Everything else was per the script.

So at this point the only outstanding issue with Jessie here is the FUBAR Bluetooth "support"...

Cheers!

Ask me again - after you find a success story.
I'll wait...

Cheers!

Ok, I have a Pi 3 running Jessie, and an HC-05 BT module running in slave mode. I don't have an Arduino hooked up, but for test purposes I could just do a loopback connection on the HC-05.

So, I should be able to establish a link from the Pi BlueTooth to the HC-05 and open a terminal on the (newly created) BlueTooth serial port. Then if I type something on the terminal it will go out to the Pi BT module, received by the HC-05, sent out of the HC-05 Tx pin, and then sent back into the Rx pin, back from the HC-05 to the Pi BT and then to the terminal.

I am happy to do a test like this, but I am not sure what is broken for you. I know there were some issues with the on-board UART being reassigned to the BT module, but I think they are all dealt with now:
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/45570/how-do-i-make-serial-work-on-the-raspberry-pi3

For some reason my RPi has suddenly rebooted a couple of times recently and it has had a strange side affect. I had 3 beers on tap that all kicked. I registered 2 news beers and put them on tap. Then after the reboots my menu reverts to the original 3 I had on tap. And the beers I added are not only gone from the menu but from the Beers inventory page. Also I had a 4th tap that I took out and even that returns when this occurs.
Anyone ever see anything like this or have a suggestion on where I would start to look for an answer?

Ok, I have a Pi 3 running Jessie, and an HC-05 BT module running in slave mode. I don't have an Arduino hooked up, but for test purposes I could just do a loopback connection on the HC-05.-[...]

That would be 90% of what I am actually needing, which would be 90% further than I've gotten. 100% would be doing that using a B, B+ or 2B, using a USB BT dongle.

When I have pulled up the built-in BT manager, it doesn't even show serial profiles...

Cheers!

[...]Anyone ever see anything like this or have a suggestion on where I would start to look for an answer?

I've not seen or read of similar behavior.
How long have you had R'pints running before this started?
If it has been a while I would suspect an SD card flaking out...

Cheers!

Back