[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks I've finally gotten pour registering on Jessie with Uno with all the help. Still got a few issues with the screen to work out if I can find the post that fixed the autostart issue.

Assuming you're running Raspbian Jessie (the current release) as the default user 'pi', the autostart file that works best is
/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

What browser will you be using?

Cheers!

Ha ha! Success. I have gotten Raspberry Pints running on a Pi 3 with the Alamode. I re-wrote the directions as I did it. Hopefully this helps.

Code:
	Sudo rpi-update
o	This updates the firmware of your pi.  This will reenable the serial port so the Alamode will work
	Sudo raspi-config
o	Advanced Options
	Update this installer
o	Expand Filesystem
o	Internationalisation Options
	Change Locale – unselect “en_GB.UTF8 UTF-8” and instead select “en_US.UTF8 UTF-8” and set that as the default
	Keyboard Configuration – Generic  104-key PC > Other >English (US) > English (US) > The default for the keyboard layout > No compose key > No
	Change Timezone – US – Your Timezone
	Change Wifi Country – US
o	Advanced Options
	Overscan – if needed
	Hostname – What you want it called – RaspberryPints
o	Finish
	sudo nano /boot/config.txt
o	Add/change lines (in this case rotated counter clockwise 90 degrees -1280x1024 60hz)
	Display_rotate=1
	Un# the lines  hdmi_group and hdmi_mode and change to
•	Hdmi_group=2
•	Hdmi_mode=35
o	Ctrl-O
o	Enter
o	Ctrl-X
	Set up Static IP
o	Right Click network icon in system tray and select “Wifi networks (dhcpcdui Settings)
o	Configure interface eth0
o	Set IP address, etc
Package installation:
	sudo apt-get update
	sudo apt-get upgrade
	Enable Serial from Start Menu > Preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration > Interfaces > Serial enable
Install LAMP stack
	sudo apt-get -y install apache2 php5 mysql-client mysql-server php5-mysql phpmyadmin
o	Prompt: my-sql-server-5.5 root user password (write this down) – beers
o	Repeat password
o	Prompt: phpmyadmin which server to run – Choose apache2
o	Prompt: phpmyadmin – configure db for phpmyadmin with dbconfig-common – No.
Install modules to use flow meters
	sudo apt-get install arduino python-serial python-mysqldb php5-cli xdotool
Install iceweasel because chromium not supported on Jessie
	sudo apt-get -y install iceweasel
Install screen management packages
	sudo apt-get -y install ttf-mscorefonts-installer x11-xserver-utils unclutter
Disable screen blanking
	sudo nano /etc/kbd/config
o	Change the following settings: 
BLANK_TIME=0
POWERDOWN_TIME=0
	Sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
o	Add the following lines:
@xset s noblank 
@xset s off 
@xset –dpms
Set Iceweasel to autostart on boot
	Click on the start menu, go down to INTERNET, then RIGHT-CLICK on Iceweasel, and click the create icon on desktop. 
	Open up the file manager , navigate to //home/pi/.config/
	I had to create a folder named autostart
	Right-click the shortcut on the desktop and cut, then right-click in the autostart folder and paste
	In LXTerminal type the following
o	sudo nano /home/pi/.config/autostart/iceweasel.desktop
o	scroll to the bottom, the line that says something along the lines of “Exec=iceweasel %u” or in my case “Exec-firefox-esr %u” and change the %u to http://localhost/
o	Ctrl-o
enter
Ctrl-x
	sudo reboot
  to test the autostart, then when it comes up press F-11 to go into full screen followed by Alt-F4 to close it out.  Now when it runs it is going to start in full screen mode.
Configure Pi to work with Flow Meters
	wget https://github.com/wyolum/alamode/raw/master/bundles/alamode-setup.tar.gz
	tar -xvzf alamode-setup.tar.gz
o	Now since these files will not run as they are
	Sudo apt-get install dos2unix
	Sudo dos2unix /home/pi/alamode-setup/*
	cd alamode-setup
	sudo nano Jessie-setup
o	edit line replacing console=ttyAMA0 with console=serial0
	sudo ./jessie-setup
Download Raspberry Pints software
	Download the zip file
	Delete the default apache page
o	sudo rm /var/www/html/index.html
	on the pi
o	cd Downloads
o	unzip RaspberryPints-_____________.zip   _____ is whatever the rest of the name is.  I find its easier to just type unzip Raspberry and hit tab and it will autofill the rest out.
o	Sudo mv RaspberryPints-___________/* /var/www/html/
o	Sudo chmod –R 777 /var/www/html
o	rm –R RaspberryPints-___________
Installing Database
	Launch browser
o	You will be prompted for the database passwords you entered.  Hope you wrote them down. 
o	Make up a database users pw and confirm it. Write it down somewhere
o	Set up rpints username.  Write it down.
o	Choose if you want sample data added.  I didn’t
o	cd /var/www/html/python
o	sudo cp flowmon /etc/init.d
o	sudo chmod a+x /etc/init.d/flowmon
o	sudo nano /etc/init.d/flowmon
	change line 14 from /var/www to /var/www/html
o	sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start
	starts flow monitor to make sure it works
o	ps aux | grep flow_monitor.py
	tests the flow monitor, should output 
pi 3508 0.0 0.9 8796 4112 ? S 15:35 0:00 /usr/bin/python /home/pi/raspberrypints/python/flow_monitor.py pi 3558 0.0 0.1 3548 808 pts/0 S+ 15:43 0:00 grep –color=auto flow_monitor.py
o	sudo update-rc.d flowmon defaults
	Makes it run at startup
Motion Sensor
	sudo apt-get update
	sudo apt-get install xscreensaver
	Set which screensaver and time to turn on
	Place pir_test.py and pir_run.py in /home/pi
	Shutdown, Install hardware as per instructions, 5v to pin2, Gnd pin 6,9,14 or 20, GPIO7: Pin 26
	To test
o	sudo python pir_test.py
o	should see motion detected notification.  Ctrl C to close
	sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
o	sudo python pir_run.py
o	Ctrl-O
o	Enter
o	Ctrl-X

Hi.
I'm got a raspberry pi 3, arduino-uno-rev3 and two swissflow sensors. My first issue is that I cant find any instructions on hard wiring it? Help please :)

Hi.
I'm got a raspberry pi 3, arduino-uno-rev3 and two swissflow sensors. My first issue is that I cant find any instructions on hard wiring it? Help please :)

The wiring is the same as what's on the RaspberryPints.com site.

Whups. I misread your question. Carry on.

The alamode connects on top the same way as with the previous models. As close to having the cards lined up. I will post a picture when I get home tonight or tomorrow am if I forget.

Hi.

I have that configuration working, and wrote it up a few pages back.

The important pins on an Uno will be the same as on the AlaMode shield in the original raspberrypints scheme.

You connect the power leads to 5VDC pins, connect the ground leads to GND pins, and connect the data leads to one of the subset of digital IO pins that are known to work (those are 2 and 5-11, for sure, and perhaps digital IO pins 12 and 13 as well).

If you go back a few pages here you'll find how to modify the files needed to support using an Uno instead of an AlaMode. Basically:

- The sketch (/var/www/html/arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.ino) must be modified to up the baud rate to work with the Uno's USB/serial bridge

- /var/www/html/python/flow_monitor.py has to have its "port" definition changed from /dev/ttyS0 to /dev/ttyACM0, and the definition of "poursdir" has to be changed from /var/www to /var/www/html for Raspbian Jessie installations...

Cheers!

So would a Mega work with out changes?

Or would changes need to be made to the sketch?

Or would changes need to be made server side?

Or both?

[edit] Holy cow - I was totally on a whole 'nuther thread there :eek:
Sorry 'bout that.

I suspect you could take that same sketch and drop it on any Arduino and it'd work.
There's so little to it, I can't imagine it wouldn't just work.
You might have to work out where the IOs end up.
But there'd be no reason to change the Python listener running on the host...

Cheers!

Hey Guys,

So.....I haven't been able to follow the thread for a while....like a year or so. I want to upgrade my system to add flow meters. Can anyone steer me to the posts that has the newest info on what hardware/software and mods in order to do this? I guess I want to make sure that my original equipment is good to go and I want to make sure and get the proper flow meters. I don't want any one to spell it out, simply direct me to the place to go so i can read and catch up. This thread is a monster and after 80 pages, I can't read one by one any more. :)

Thanks guys and sorry for being a PITA.

P.S. Does any one have a nice write up that is current on how to get started with the Rasp Pints (with meters) and with the newest mods?

I would not upgrade to Jessie, there's really no compelling reason to do so unless you have an RPi3.

I do recommend backing up your SD card if you haven't yet.
rpi-clone is a great utility that makes live-cloning an SD card easy.
https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone

Cheers!

I agree. Since you have a working RaspberryPints currently from the RaspberryPints.com site and its installation instructions for flow meters you only should have to do steps 4 (lamp stack through just before chromium install), step 6 (will probably have to dos2unix the files as in my directions though), step 9 and then step 10.

Should be quick and work. Just note that in step 9 the step that says
$ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start $ ps aux | grep flow_monitor.py
is two separate commands. It should be broken down into

$ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start
And
$ ps aux | grep flow_monitor.py

Which version of Raspbian are you using - Wheezy or Jessie?
If the former, just follow the directions at http://raspberrypints.com/build-flow-meters/
If the latter, see DrunkleJon's post here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7726017&postcount=2204

Cheers!

Do you have a similar link to directions for "no flow meters"? I have been sitting in a hold pattern wanting to get mine up and running but have not had a set of directions that will get me to a working menu. Unfortunately I only have enough computer knowledge to get me in trouble.

Thanks,

Tom

Sure - use the procedure found here:
http://raspberrypints.com/build-flow-meters-2/

Note that if you are starting from scratch - including the OS installation - there will be a couple of changes needed due to where Apache2 now expects files to reside (in /var/www/html instead of /var/www). This has been documented many times here, including in the same script that drunklejon posted that I linked...

Cheers!

I see it too. Looks like the project ran out of money. Or forgot to renew the account.

It looks like the code is still on GitHub, but the documentation is only on the website, so it's inaccessible.

I see it too. Looks like the project ran out of money. Or forgot to renew the account.

It looks like the code is still on GitHub, but the documentation is only on the website, so it's inaccessible.

I saved the directions as a pdf if anyone needs them. Just let me know I will work on making them available.

Thank you sir - fortunately, my neighbor did that so he sent me a copy. Now, to continue reading the thread to try to understand what this wheezy/Jessie thing is! 😴

Kegimatic hasn't been updated in just as long, had way less features and no support. if you guys can get an archive of the raspints site I'll throw it up on one of my many sites that I don't really use.

Hi.
Got it up and running on raspberry pi 3, the 7" touch screen, and arduino uno, with 2 swissflow meters. Thanx :)
How do I calibrate the flow meters?

An out of the box installation using SF800 meters should not require changing the ticks/gallon count, as that value was developed for those meters...

Cheers!

Ok, Thanx, in the manual for the Sf800 they uses 2 resistors, I have'nt used any when I connected the Sf800 to the arduino, could that be the reasson why it seems to meassure a higher flowthru than it really is?

Don't know what you're looking at, if any resistor is used with the SF800 it's only ever one resistor for current limiting to the IR led (the resistor value depends on supply voltage to the meter).

And unless too (numerically) high a value is used it won't affect the count.

fwiw I use 200 ohm series resistors and the meters are scary accurate...

Cheers!

Yaya! Have now read all 224 pages....

I bought a p3 and just have not gotten around to upgrading yet- thanks for the instructions Jon. Will be starting to tackle this tomorrow- wish me Luck! :)

Hi! This is the wiring diagram on the Sf800, with the resistors.
https://www.google.no/search?q=swis...AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=3D4zzB2wEY3izM:

Mine are connected directly at the pins GND, 5V and pin 8,9 at the arduino uno.

My bad, I totally forgot the diagram has always shown a pull-up resistor on the data line.

However, back when we were just getting the flow meters working with R'Pints I noticed (using a 'scope) that the pull-up was not needed, so none of my builds have ever used pull-ups...

Cheers!

My bad, I totally forgot the diagram has always shown a pull-up resistor on the data line.

However, back when we were just getting the flow meters working with R'Pints I noticed (using a 'scope) that the pull-up was not needed, so none of my builds have ever used pull-ups...

Cheers!

Are the internal pull-ups in the Arduino turned on? That should work.

Are the internal pull-ups in the Arduino turned on? That should work.

Yes, that is precisely correct:

Code:
for( int i = 0; i < numSensors; i++ ) {
    pinMode(pulsePin[i], INPUT);
    digitalWrite(pulsePin[i], HIGH);

Because the input is so high impedance there's virtually no change in the edge rates with or without an external pull-up...

Cheers!

/embarrassed

I even have a "lmgtfy" sticker on my laptop!

Downloaded and forked! Thanks again!

No worries. Happens to us all. And let me know if you have any problems with my version of the directions. I want to make sure I'm not steering anyone wrong and that everything is clear.

Latest posts

Back