vermont IPA lag time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
just made 10 gallons of an IPA, 1.060 , added yeast energizer last 15min. Aerated by sifting trub through a strainer and then shaken. It is 17hrs later and no activity. I am a little worried, because all I usually use are US-05 and S-04 (which never fail). Should I be? Am I just worrying too much? Thanks for the help.

No need to worry at all at 17 hours. What yeast are you using for this batch? What was your pitch temp?

Giga yeast Vermont ipa double pitch (I used 2 for 10 gallons) pitched in the 70s sitting around the mid 60s now

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's a great yeast imo. I think I had an approximate 24 hr lag time on my IIPA. Fermented at 64 during active fermentation, then ramped to 72 over the remaining 14 days. IIPA was a huge hit at our party yesterday.

How did it turn out? Pitched a full pack into half a 9 gallon batch of 1.056 pale ale and it finally showed signs of fermentation after 48 hours or so. I had expected it to take off faster than the other half of the batch which was pitched on US-05.

Wake up sleepy thread I need your help.

I’m hoping someone with experience using this yeast could tell me what the preferred fermentation temperature is to really get the esters to shine through. I’d really like to achieve that peach note that Headdy has without going too far into funky ester town. Thanks in advance for the help.

Wake up sleepy thread I need your help.

I’m hoping someone with experience using this yeast could tell me what the preferred fermentation temperature is to really get the esters to shine through. I’d really like to achieve that peach note that Headdy has without going too far into funky ester town. Thanks in advance for the help.

I usually shoot for pitching in the low 60s and rise to mid to upper 60s. It won;t throw out any bad flavors even up to the 70s but I'd stay in the 60s. It doesn't slow down at the lower temps either. You should get about 80%AA with higher performance in later generations.

I gave a few other tips for using this awesome yeast here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/re-balanced-ipa-496003/

Thanks for the 411 and the recipe. Your recipe is spot on what I was looking to do and can't wait to try it.

How are things in my Old Kentucky Home? I'm from a small town in Boyd County near the Ohio River. Go Big Blue!

No problem.

Im right on the riverfront too. Its pretty peaceful and boring here compared to the East Coast where I'm from. But we're finally getting 2 new breweries by the end of the year so I'm stoked. This one guy says I can do collaborations and get free yeast

Back