vegetables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vared

Reaction score
I was throwing the idea around of including vegetables in my next batch. Particularly carrots. Anything I should expect or be weary of?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZvFoSI5VN8]YouTube - Zappa Plays Zappa - "Call Any Vegetable"[/ame]

+1 on crap.Not often you see a 5 syllable post from revy.I think it's sumed up very well.

This is a recipe I had laying around. It's for hoppy carrot wine (excuse the pun, I didn't name it.) I've not tried it, but I'm guessing it's the closest thing you'll get to a carrot beer that you can actually drink.

3 1/2 lbs carrots
2 1/2 lbs brown sugar
1/2 oz dried hops
2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp energizer
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 campden tablet
sherry yeast
water to top off to 1 gallon

Basically it tells you to cook the carrots in a straining bag until they're tender. Remove the bag and strain water into carboy. Add everything but yeast and let the campden do it's thing. 24 hrs later, add yeast.

Hope this helps you out. I can't base this on experience, but I'm guessing that carrots and malt may not turn out well.

This is a recipe I had laying around. It's for hoppy carrot wine (excuse the pun, I didn't name it.) I've not tried it, but I'm guessing it's the closest thing you'll get to a carrot beer that you can actually drink.

3 1/2 lbs carrots
2 1/2 lbs brown sugar
1/2 oz dried hops
2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp energizer
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 campden tablet
sherry yeast
water to top off to 1 gallon

Basically it tells you to cook the carrots in a straining bag until they're tender. Remove the bag and strain water into carboy. Add everything but yeast and let the campden do it's thing. 24 hrs later, add yeast.

Hope this helps you out. I can't base this on experience, but I'm guessing that carrots and malt may not turn out well.

Well maybe you want to ask the moderators to move this thread to the wine section of the forum.....veggies in beers are pretty uncommon, but in the wine section you might actually get some help from those folks over there....they prolly have more experience that we do....I know there are veggie wine recipes around the web...I have seen a tomato one for instance (yeah I know it's technically a fruit, but we all think it's a veggy) and garlic wines for cooking....

The only veggies I know that have been added to beers are things like potatoes, sweetpotatoes, and maybe squash....

Please for the love of god don't put vegetables in beer.

And WTF is that video LOL.

Oh but I admire your desire to push the boundaries. Hell go for it. :)

Category 21 — Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer

Most likely similar to Yam Beer or Pumpkin beer depending on whether you spice it.
Braised cooked carrot in maple in a brown might be an idea.
Go for it.

1) Zappa.. nice call!
2) Carrot Cake? Little carrot, brown sugar, pecan... all sound like they wouldn't be bad in a brew. My dad used to brew a killer pumpkin pie brew years ago, and I think pumpkin is a veggie!

carrots contain a fair amount of sugar....it could work well. MAybe a play on carrot cake- carrots, marris otter, honey malt, a little carapils....just a though. Try a 1 gal batch with carrot juice from the store and some grain and see how it tastes

If you're going to use carrots, cook them first. There's a lot of starches that aren't going to be useful to your beer unless they are made soluble and converted to sugars. As far as I know, carrots don't have pectin, so you don't have to avoid boil them the way you do fruit.

Probably treat them just like pumpkin. Put them in the oven and roast them until they turn soft and then add 'em to the mash.

All great ideas, guys. Keep 'em coming. Haven't decided yet how far I'm going to go with it. Whether to cook them in the mash, or just throw something in the carboy during fermentation. I was thinking more of a blonde style, but its still up in the air.
Thanks

Do this with a sweet spiced brown ale as the base recipe and you'd have a Carrot Cake Brew.

Nut brown ale with cinnamon to go with the carrots. Raisins are good in carrot cake too so I could see adding some special B or something like that.

Back