Vegamite in homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
Apparently the politicians down under take a dim view of homebrewing and have specifically targeted homebrewing with Vegamite:

http://news.yahoo.com/australia-warns-against-homebrew-vegemite-alcohol-drinks-090131808.html

So its made with dead yeast, supposedly has no live yeast in it, why would anyone use this in homebrew? Are the people using it just fermenting a wild yeast beer and the vegemite isn't really doing anything except acting as a yeast nutrient?

I read this on BBC this morning. I guess it ain't dead. Personally I don't get why vegemite is being singled out when other grocery store products will produce alcohol as well... thinking bread yeast, fruit juice, sugar water, you name it...

Plain ignorance about alcohol and good ol' fashioned racism. The current Aussie gubmint sure love stickin' it to the indigenous peoples.

Back