Vanilla Extract for Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritobandito

Reaction score
So I'm bottling the caramel vanilla cream ale recipe I found on here tomorrow. It calls for DME instead of corn sugar for priming as well as vanilla extract. I'm going to use the standard 5 oz corn sugar instead and the 2 oz of vanilla instead of 4 oz the recipe calls for. I was wondering if the vanilla extract would add enough sugar to cause bottle bombs or if I'm safe?

No vanilla extract shouldn't have much sugar in it. It is essentially bourbon or some other liquor that has had vanilla beans soaking in it for an extended period.

I use vanilla been and after checking a bottle after only 1 1/2 week.Its real good. although i primed with maple syrup and a vanilla bean. I would think extract has next to no sugar and i dont think a bean contributes to much if any sugar either.
I tasted a sample after using vanilla extract in a late edition boil and couldnt taste it so i ended up bottled priming with a bean and i highly recommend it. Alot of people seem to like adding it the last week in primary also.

Back