vacuum/pressure pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edecambra

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My neighbor works for a lab supply company and just gave me a brand damn new lab grade vacuum/pressure pump. It can push or pull air and calibrated pressures. No liquids though. What can I use this for?

Just to let you all know, I have an O2 system and CO2 already for my aeration/oxygenation and kegging/pressurized transfers

Any other ideas? This thing seems to retail for 800 bucks!!! but I don't know if I can even use it!

Cheers

it seems like it can "pull" liquids but only by creating an air vacuum in a secondary, transfer vessel. Also it can push the air from the first to get a siphon going.

Make your own malt extract? Not sure if you would care too (no point), but mash some grain, run it into a keg and hook up the vacuum pump to the IN side. Reducing the pressure in the keg will cause the liquid to "boil" at lower temps and eventually leave you with dehydrated wort.

Personally, I always had an idea to connect a vacuum pump to a fridge. Pulling most of the air out of a fridge would allow produce and meats to last a whole lot longer in there as there is no oxygen and less airborne bacteria. The only problem is having to pull a vacuum every time you close the door and re-pressurize to open it. I think there is a residential fridge available that does something like this but I don't know exactly how it works. Just a thought.

Otherwise, you could use it to evacuate air and moisture from air conditioning and refrigeration systems or maybe give it to someone who does just that for a living. :D

Ha,

I actually didn't even think about the fridge idea. My mini fridge kegerator was so frozen over that It wouldn't chill to below 50 or so and I had to take all the kegs out and defrost it. Perhaps I can use the pump to suck the damp air out of it?

I doubt it is a wonderful seal anyway, as it has a wooden collar on it and wonky weatherstrip, but I try to seal it up!!!! I might give this a go

Latest posts

Back