Using your mash tun to soak bottles in star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
I tried a search but didn't find anything so here's my question. Would it be safe to use my mash tun to soak my bottles in starsan? The reason I ask is because I currently have over 100 bottles soaking in pbw using my mash tun ferm bucket and a second cooler. And I wanted to use the same vessels to sanitize in. I'm just worried since my mash tun has held grain it can cause a bottle infection. Also is star San still no rinse even if the bottles will sit for over a day?

While you are likely ok, it is best practice not to mix vessels between the cold side and hot side of a brewery. Pre boil and post boil should be separate and not mixed.

Star sans longevity depends upon the ph of you water, sorry can't help you there...you could freshen it a bit with a little more concentrate if concerned.

While you are likely ok, it is best practice not to mix vessels between the cold side and hot side of a brewery. Pre boil and post boil should be separate and not mixed.

Star sans longevity depends upon the ph of you water, sorry can't help you there...you could freshen it a bit with a little more concentrate if concerned.

Thank you ill just not use the mashtun then.

Back