Using Washed Yeast without a Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I want to use two different yeasts for my 10 gallon batch of IPA. It will be split in two 5 gallon carboys. I only have one stir plate and flask, so making two starters isn't an option. However, I can wash yeast from a batch made two weeks ago (Pale Ale). I make sure that batch is not contaminated. I can wash that yeast any day coming up that would be best.

Can I pitch one or two mason jars instead of making a yeast starter?

* I know I could use dry yeast, but I have used those so many times I am bored with them.

Absolutely. You are fine using part of a yeast cake (or washed yeast) on a new batch almost always. I wouldn't worry about "washing" the yeast; in fact, you might better off NOT "washing" the yeast so you don't lose viable yeast in the discarded washing. I would simply use a portion of the yeast cake (typically about a cup would be PLENTY); save the rest for future batches.

And you don't need a fancy stir plate to make a starter either. I just put my yeast and wort into a two liter pop bottle and shake it up whenever I think about it. Works just as good and doesn't cost anything.

Transfer your old beer off the yeastcake. Using a small amount of sterile (preboiled and cooled) water, pour it into the yeastcake and swirl it up to get a nice slurry created. Pour the slurry into your mason jars; if you use at least one half-pint/jelly jar then you can use the whole thing for your next beer. After you've brewed, cooled and transferred your new wort a fermenter, shake up a jar to get it homogeneous and pour out a cup into your fermenter.

Another way: If you have two fermenters (yeastcake in one, new wort in the other), you can just use a sanitized spoon to scoop some over into the new wort also.

I almost forgot....

How my buddy does it: When siphoning your beer from fermenter to keg/bottling_bucket, start with your racking cane in the yeastcake. Using the suction from the siphon, suck up a nice pile of yeast into your mason jar. When the jar is getting full, lift up your racking cane into the beer and move your hose over to your keg/bottling_bucket and finish up your transfer (you'd want to pinch the hose so you spill beer all over). A couple nice features of this method is that you don't have to manipulate the yeastcake much AND you make a nice place on the bottom of your fermenter to put the end of your racking cane when you're transferring the beer to it's next container.

I will just take about a cup of the slurry after I transfer the beer to my secondary, and pour it into the fermenter and just add the new wort. It starts bubbling in about an hour or so.

One last thing, would it be okay to get that cup of slurry on Friday if I am brewing on Sunday or is it best to do it all on the same day? I'll keep it sealed in the fridge of course until Sunday of course.

You're pretty good for a couple/few weeks as long as you were sanitary in your process and keep it refrigerated. I just poured about 1.3 cups of collected us05 yeastcake (an overpitch on my part) last night about 8PM and was seeing outward pressure by midnight, and full-fledged fermentation early this morning. I collected this yeastcake about 2.5 weeks ago.

Back