Using US-05 in Saison recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tastybrewandchew

Reaction score
So, because I'm cheap I didn't order the Saison yeast with NB's Saison de Noel kit but instead planned to use the yeast cake off a Black IPA I will be brewing soon.

My plan is to pitch two packs of US-05 in the ~1.075 OG IPA, let it ferment for 3-4 weeks then transfer it to secondary and pitch the Saison de Noel onto the yeast cake.

I know...this is blasphemous to the Saison style and I should have done more research beforehand, but will the US-05 bed be able to take the Saison/Ale hybrid down to a low FG?

Should I try to increase temperature over time to be able to take the gravity down around the 1.005 +/- .003 range?

Final gravity is only part of the brew, but no, I don't think US-05 will get the beer as bone-dry as a saison should be. I suppose it could get you fairly dry with a low enough mash temperature, but US-05 still is fairly clean and neutral. Saison yeast produces a lot of fruity and spicy flavors that US-05 just won't give you.

If it's not too late, see if you can source some Belle Saison or Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale if you want to use dry yeast. For liquid, I really like Wyeast 3711 French Saison, which is happy to ferment between 68-75°F, and doesn't need to ramp up to dry out.

It is not really blasphemous to the Saison style, you're basically omitting the style altogether. If you want to brew a saison, the yeast is very important. You can't ferment US-05 hot and think it'll give you that true saison character.

Perhaps put that kit away until you source funds for saison yeast.

I'd say order the Saison yeast and use the US-05 for something else. IMHO the yeast is the most important factor of brewing a Saison

Edit: what everyone above me said. Especially Psylocide, i actually really like Belle Saison

The reason why your idea of waiting to pitch the saison yeast won't work is because the flavors from the yeast come from primary fermentation. Fermenting out the rest of the beer with it likely won't give you any of the saison flavor profile you're looking for. If what you're brewing was meant to be a Belgian IPA, then fermenting it with us-05 will turn it into an American IPA...

Also primary fermentation is likely gonna be done around the 10 day mark, if you're controlling all of the ferment parameters that you should be doing. If you're planning on transferring to a secondary, there's not really much need to waiting 3-4 weeks to transfer it. Once you hit FG, wait two more days for the yeast to be able to clean up things (and to make sure it's hit FG), then transfer.

Would you brew an IPA with no hops?

This is exactly what I was getting ready to type when I clicked this topic. Belgian beers, saisons in particular, are essentially defined by their yeast. Most of the grain bills of the well known ones are not too different from one another. What makes them unique is the yeast strain and how you treat it to coax out its character. Fermenting cooler will usually get more spicy peppery flavors. Warmer will generally be more fruity and sometimes funky. You just simply cant do any of that with US-05

Itll still be beer. But it would definitely not taste at all like a saison. Probably just a lightly hopped pale ale

Back