Using tinned fruit in secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedmondUK

Reaction score
I am making a peach wheat which will be ready to transfer to the secondary fermenter within the next couple of days. Originally my plan was to use fresh peaches, freeze them and then thaw and rack directly on top of the fruit in the secondary. After looking at the cost of fresh peaches I started looking at tinned peaches which are much cheaper. I then searched the internet and read that tinned fruits contain preservatives which can kill all yeast activity. Here is a list of the ingredients in the tinned peaches I am looking at ; Ingredients
Peach Slices , Water , Sugar , Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid) , Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid) . I'm wondering if these ingredients have a detrimental affect to the beer.
Is it a bad thing if yeast activity stops if I have already reached my target gravity in the primary, as long as I still extract the peach flavour or would the be overly sweet due to no fermentation in secondary.
Any help is greatly appreciated I don't wanna ruin what could be a great batch of beer.
Thanks in advance

maybe add the peaches after the initial 3-5 day fermentation once it slows down?

I would say just buy the bags of already frozen peaches and use them. I do that with raspberries for my rasperry wheat beers.

I would buy frozen. No matter what company.. I can always pick up a metallic taste from canned fruit.. not so much veggies.. just fruit.

maybe add the peaches after the initial 3-5 day fermentation once it slows down?
My beer has almost completely finished fermenting in primary so gonna transfer to secondary on top of tinned peaches. Unable to find anywhere that sells frozen peaches. So hopefully the tinned stuff will still make a great beer. I guess it may just be trial and error.

Thanks for your help

Back