using slurry to repitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmonte

Hoppy
Reaction score
So this is the first time I will be reusing my yeast. I'm doing a 10 gallon batch of a Belgium IPA with wlp550, the OG is 1.080. I want to do a second batch of the same. Now can I rack into keg then dump second cooled batch right on the slurry into primary? Or should I wash the yeast then pitch??

Thanks in advance!

So this is the first time I will be reusing my yeast. I'm doing a 10 gallon batch of a Belgium IPA with wlp550, the OG is 1.080. I want to do a second batch of the same. Now can I rack into keg then dump second cooled batch right on the slurry into primary? Or should I wash the yeast then pitch??

Thanks in advance!

Opinions vary on this, but I personally measure out a volume of slurry using the pitch calculator at MrMalty for my second batch. You CAN rack onto the cake but you are going to be WAY overpitching. Since we know that yeast takes IBUs and hop flavor with it when it settles, it's better to slightly under pitch than to over pitch with an IPA. So IMHO you should measure out what the batch needs and pitch that instead of racking onto the cake.

Thanks in advance!

Official answer from general HBT knowledge is that with that high an OG, wash, start and re-pitch.

Personal experience for me does not exist on that many high grav beers back-to-back. I tend to put a bigger beer on top of the slurry from a lower grav beer...or back to back low grav beers.

You do have the option of a direct slurry pitch without washing. If it's the same recipe there's little reason to do so IMO. Run a calculator from mrmalty or brewers friend and get an estimate on how much to use. I'd guess somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1/4 to 1/3 the cake, but I do break the rules every now and then. Only pitch directly onto the full cake if your batch is significantly bigger either volume of gravity.

I asked the same question and was told to basicly cut the yeast in primary in 1/3 otherwise your using way to much yeast.

Back