Using Simcoe, worried about cat piss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Adams

Brewing_Akamai
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm brewing up a blonde ale for a friends wedding. My thoughts were that it would be an easy drinker for everyone who doesn't get down with really off the wall craft brews. I am running a 60 minute boil and I'm going to drop in .8oz Simcoe and .8oz Cascade.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on if I'll run into the fabled "cat piss" flavors that are, I guess, characteristic of Simcoe when using it as such? Thanks everyone!

Full recipe is:
BIAB method; 10gal pot on 200BTU propane burner; 6 gal. batch
4.45lbs German Pilsen
4.45lbs Maris Otter
1.13lbs Vienna
.65 Victory

1.3oz Tettnanger 60 min
.8oz Cascade 10 min
.8oz Simcoe 10 min
.5oz Citra - dry hop at 3 days left on a 2 week ferm.

1 pkg. London Ale III

It’s hard to find that profile from Simcoe anymore. I believe it’s caused by the thiol 4MMP and has a lot to do with picking window. It was synonymous with Simcoe forever but I haven’t noticed it in a while. Open your bag of hops, rub them, if they don’t smell like cat piss then you’re probably fine.

That being said 4MMP is very polarizing. It can smell like cat piss to some and tropical fruit to others.

It’s hard to find that profile from Simcoe anymore. I believe it’s caused by the thiol 4MMP and has a lot to do with picking window. It was synonymous with Simcoe forever but I haven’t noticed it in a while. Open your bag of hops, rub them, if they don’t smell like cat piss then you’re probably fine.

That being said 4MMP is very polarizing. It can smell like cat piss to some and tropical fruit to others.
The last few beers I've had that had simcoe in it I didnt care for . It's a hop that I've used less and less

Thanks for the info! I guess my next question to the both of you is, should I just take that hop edition out and put more cascade?

Thanks for the info! I guess my next question to the both of you is, should I just take that hop edition out and put more cascade?

Yeah, that was going to be my suggestion - if you're worried about it, don't use it. I've never cared for Simcoe, but I understand that might be just me.

Cascade is a great hop, but imo it's a bit flat on its own. Some Simcoe will sure be nice. Cascade also pairs beautifully with Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, if you have some of that on hand. I think it's the hop combo underlying Brooklyn Lager - or at least its homebrew versions. It's not the modern in-your-face-fruitiness of Amarillo/Cascade/... , but rather an elegant unison of citrus and floral notes.

Cascade is a great hop, but imo it's a bit flat on its own. Some Simcoe will sure be nice. Cascade also pairs beautifully with Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, if you have some of that on hand. I think it's the hop combo underlying Brooklyn Lager - or at least its homebrew versions. It's not the modern in-your-face-fruitiness of Amarillo/Cascade/... , but rather an elegant unison of citrus and floral notes.

I’ll keep that in mind for a future batch! After a little bit of consideration, I ended up using the .8oz of simcoe as well as the same amount of cascade. I’ll have to find the right thread to post pictures of finished beers. Thanks for the info!

Maybe you just haven’t had a awesome source of simcoe or a beer that has a great source. That hop can be genuine orange sherbet
I've only used it once - too "dank" for my taste. Dank isn't my thing.
And I've never been impressed with any beer that prominently featured it (where it was dominant over the rest of a blend). Mainly I see it used in a lot of mediocre-at-best NEIPAs.
So is it possible I've missed out on the best of it? Very possibly. I won't turn down something made with it, but I won't but it again until I experience something that changes my experience with it.

I like Simcoe a lot. I've had lots of NEIPAs with it I really liked. I feel like it adds another layer of flavor rather than the one note fruit bombs, which still can be quite good. My wife tends to not like beers with it though as she prefers all fruit/citrus flavors. To each their own, definitely try it for yourself though

I have had great results with Simcoe, especially in my "West Coast" IPA's. I enjoy the dank/pine contribution. Seems to be historically popular, especially combined with Amarillo. Never got "cat piss"...

Was planning on it, what’s your thoughts?

just that if you're trying to make something for BMC drinker's, that people that don't like craft beer like.....well....instead of dry hoping, maybe doing a cereal mash with rice or corn....? when i drink BMC i don't get a lot of dry hop character.....

edit: i think i read a long time ago @Andrew Hodgson does a good miller lite clone....

just that if you're trying to make something for BMC drinker's, that people that don't like craft beer like.....well....instead of dry hoping, maybe doing a cereal mash with rice or corn....? when i drink BMC i don't get a lot of dry hop character.....

edit: i think i read a long time ago @Andrew Hodgson does a good miller lite clone....

Yea, I guess with this beer I was going for something very crushable that wasn’t overly hoppy for those who aren’t really in IPAs. Definitely not a BMC type beer though I’d like to take a swing at one soon. I got a bunch of family that don’t like to taste their beer haha! I’ll definitely check out that clone recipe!

One beer that most BMC like is a kolsch . I've had people who dislike craft beer like the kolsch and have multiple pints . So I tell them , see you like craft beer lol.

Yup. I keep a kolsch on tap for that same reason - and it's the closest to a concession I can manage ;)
Non-beer drinkers that like white wines typically enjoy the classic kolsch...

Cheers!

Hi all, I'm brewing up a blonde ale for a friends wedding. My thoughts were that it would be an easy drinker for everyone who doesn't get down with really off the wall craft brews. I am running a 60 minute boil and I'm going to drop in .8oz Simcoe and .8oz Cascade.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on if I'll run into the fabled "cat piss" flavors that are, I guess, characteristic of Simcoe when using it as such? Thanks everyone!

Full recipe is:
BIAB method; 10gal pot on 200BTU propane burner; 6 gal. batch
4.45lbs German Pilsen
4.45lbs Maris Otter
1.13lbs Vienna
.65 Victory

1.3oz Tettnanger 60 min
.8oz Cascade 10 min
.8oz Simcoe 10 min
.5oz Citra - dry hop at 3 days left on a 2 week ferm.

1 pkg. London Ale III

never gotten catpiss from simcoe. Usually get citrus & pine. I usually blend with other hops like chinook, apollo, columbus, centennial

I have gotten catpiss from citra & galaxy

Simcoe, Citra, and Mosaic are the cat pissiest hops. If you don’t like piss, avoid all three.

I hate cat piss. I have cats. I don’t want to drink beer that smells (and tastes??) like a litterbox or like the spots they leave in many other corners.

"Cat piss," alternatively described as "black currant," "tropical," "green onion," and "tomato plant," among others, is 4MMP (4-mercapto-4-methylpentan-4-one.)

The highest measured levels (most recent information I've seen) are in Summit, Simcoe, and Topaz, almost as high in Apollo and Cascade, and significant in Citra, Chinook, Bullion, and Cluster.

It is present at some level in many hops grown on North American, Australian, and New Zealand soil, but absent in hops, even the same varieties, grown in Europe.

The fact that it is subject to so many different descriptions, as well as being so offensive to some people, suggests to me that how it is perceived is partly dependent on some genetic factors in the taster (as with cilantro.)

If you don't like it, don't use it.

Latest posts

Back