Using saison yeast for other beer styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmeador

Reaction score
Good evening, everyone. I am going to try a saison all-grain ingredient kit next and will be ordering Wyeast 3711 with it. I will also be ordering a pack of Safale BE-134 as a backup just in case the Wyeast isn't viable.

That got me thinking that if I don't end up having to use the Safale dry yeast, what interesting thing can I do with it besides brewing another saison? Are there other beer styles that would be ideal for or good for experimentation with this yeast?

Thanks!

I'm sure folks will have some other ideas, but IMO saisons are so defined by their yeast character that pretty much anything fermented with saison strains will be very saison-like. I can't think of any other style where that would be ideal, except for grisette, which is arguably really a small saison. So I reckon that's what I would probably do if I didn't want to make a "big" saison.

Thanks! I was hoping maybe there were some good hybrid beer styles that could be made, but it sounds like this is a very specialized kind of yeast. I thought that may be the case since it has “saison” in the name!

it would work perfectly for a 'farmhouse ipa' or maybe a close approximation of a belgo-pale ale.

personally, i hate the character of a saison yeast. i think maybe it might add something in a huge dark bier de guard or bdsa with a co-pitch of brett b, but that's a big investment of time and efforts for a curiosity.

I recently used the Wyeast Dupont strain 3724 for a 3 gallon batch of Belgian Pale Ale, then used the yeast cake for a 3 gallon batch of Belgian IPA, and finally used the yeast cake for a Traditional Saison recipe. All three beers turned out great.

Also, there are many different ways to make a saison from traditional, to using rye or even using debittered roasted grains like Midnight Wheat to make a dark saison.

Saison yeasts are pretty distinctive. You could kinda use them for other Belgian styles, but the same way a Saison won't taste right with a Trappist yeast, a Tripel won't taste right with Saison yeast. There are a few strains (like Ardennes) that kinda work for both (though in my opinion excel at neither).

The one place that Saison yeasts do work well outside of "normal" Saison is part of a mixed culture for more wild farmhouse beers. Though if they're the dominant character I'd still just call those Saisons.

I do the Centenial blonde recipe from this site and sometimes use Belle Saison yeast. Makes a great "Sessionable" Saison style beer.
Sometimes it's great to split a batch and do each half with a different yeast. Gives you a sense of what role the yeast plays in the beer.

Don’t know if they float your boat, but I love using saison yeast when brewing ciders, the yeast profile and tendency to full attenuation makes for a very flavorful dry cider.

I made a stout in 2019 and accidentally pitched WB-06 wheat beer yeast instead of S-04. Sure wasn't objectionable.

Might be interesting to try with Belle Saison. Sure would be dry.

You can use it in any recipe, in fact. Just check out the yeast characteristics and you will have some idea about the beer that you planing to brew. For this eapecific, a dry one, with some esters, maybe POF clover taste.
I'm thinking using this in a stout. Why don't you try too?

Back