Using potassium metabisulfite to sterilize post boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjm805

Reaction score
I'm currently making a sour, I have some extra wine grape skins so am thinking of throwing those in to make a "red wine flavored sour" (or call it what you want). I would rather not boil the wort with the grape skins in them as to not alter the consistency, can I add metabisulfite after I've cooled down the wort and added the grape skins to kill off wild bacteria?

I'm currently making a sour, I have some extra wine grape skins so am thinking of throwing those in to make a "red wine flavored sour" (or call it what you want). I would rather not boil the wort with the grape skins in them as to not alter the consistency, can I add metabisulfite after I've cooled down the wort and added the grape skins to kill off wild bacteria?
Why not add to the grape skins to sanitize them, let them sit for a day, then add to your beer? The beer should be chugging along nicely by then

Why not add to the grape skins to sanitize them, let them sit for a day, then add to your beer? The beer should be chugging along nicely by then

I thought of that, my concern though was that there's no liquid for the metabisulfate to dissolve so that all skins get a "rinse", seems it would be hard to disperse it evenly.

Back