Using older cryo hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shetc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have some cryo Ahtanum that I'm using as a substitute for Cascade. It's been in my freezer and coincidentally its best buy date is 2/3/2023 - the Yakima Chiefs packet has never been opened. The usual recommendation for cryo is to use 50% of the required T90 amount. Think this still applies to cryo hops at the end of their best buy date?

I'm sure there are different methods, but I generally don't adjust hop additions for age. When I tried, I found they hadn't lost the bitterness as predicted, and I over hopped. Since the expiration was a couple of days ago, I would just consider them still unexpired.

I'm sure there are different methods, but I generally don't adjust hop additions for age. When I tried, I found they hadn't lost the bitterness as predicted, and I over hopped. Since the expiration was a couple of days ago, I would just consider them still unexpired.
Thanks very much for your advice!

Back