Using multiple elements in a boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
Does anyone use two 5500w elements in their boil kettles to reduce the time requires to heat up the water? I'm planning my switch to an electric brewing system and am curious about boil times for my 15 gal keggle.

It gets very cold here in the winter and I'm thinking it will add a lot of time to my brew days.

Are you inside or outside? Is your BK insulated or not? Insulation will make a huge difference.

I'm outside but looking to setup in a covered area I use to stack wood. My boil kettle isn't insulated as I use propane now and it would melt. I could easily insulate it in the same manner I insulated my MLT

I have 2 elements in my kettle (5500 W and 4500 W). I can turn them on independently so I can use other elements in my system (HLT and HERMS). I can only run 2 of 4 elements at a time due to the 50 A feed. During the boil they are both on, but typically run at about 60% (for a 15-20 gal. batch).

Does anyone use two 5500w elements in their boil kettles to reduce the time requires to heat up the water? I'm planning my switch to an electric brewing system and am curious about boil times for my 15 gal keggle.

It gets very cold here in the winter and I'm thinking it will add a lot of time to my brew days.

Assuming you will be plugged into a dryer outlet, 7000 watts is the limit for a 30 Amp 240V circuit. Any more than 7000 watts and you will pop the 30 Amp breaker. You could use a 5500 watt element and a 1500 watt element in parallel.

I have 2 elements in my kettle (5500 W and 4500 W). I can turn them on independently so I can use other elements in my system (HLT and HERMS). I can only run 2 of 4 elements at a time due to the 50 A feed. During the boil they are both on, but typically run at about 60% (for a 15-20 gal. batch).

How long does it generally take to get up to a boil on the 15 gal batches?

I don't know about 18 - 20 gallons, which is what I assume your 15 gallon batches start at, but I can bring 12 gallons of wurt from mash temperature to boil in about 20 minutes with a single 5500 watt element.

A lot depends on the size and shape of your brew pot.

I'm looking to do max 10 gal batches (i'm using a converted KEG MLT / Kettle)

So 12 to 14 gal would be representative.

It's tough to say for my setup. I turn my kettle elements on as soon as they are submerged during lautering. I am often at boiling temperature before I finish the lautering and sparging.

So... 0 minutes? :cross:

I have the exact same setup. 5500W and 4500W elements in both HLT and BK. I can select 2 at a time. With 2 elements (5500W & 4500W) I can take 10gal 55deg F tap water in the HLT up to 150F in ~16mins. I've been meaning to record some graphs of the different elements and heating times, but havent gotten around to it.

With even minimal insulation, I would think 5500w in a keggle will yield reasonable heating times.

You say it gets very cold where you are, but let's assume you don't start below 32 degrees, or w/ ice in the kettle...

Insulation is going to help, but a lid will go a longer way. I worked for a heat exchanger company and had to do these calculations all the time. The heat loss from the surface of the liquid is where you will make most of the difference.

Indian_villager said:
Insulation is going to help, but a lid will go a longer way. I worked for a heat exchanger company and had to do these calculations all the time. The heat loss from the surface of the liquid is where you will make most of the difference.

That makes sense I'll have to try and slap together a lid.

Back