using mr malty android app

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeLordBrewing

Reaction score
need any input or advice.

I am going to put out some numbers here.

OG is going to be 1.116

I am using a Wyeast activator 1056 american ale. with a viabillity of 74% based on MFG date of smack pack per Mr malty.

going to pitch this into a 2.5 gal batch of 1.116 gravity.

just picked up a stir plate.

based on Mr malty calculator I need 191 billion cells.

just purchased the mr malty app on an android phone.

choosing the "liquid yeast" option, and starter type: stir plate.

the calculator spits out this info:

packs needed: 1 pack

liters needed: 1

now at the bottom of the app is an adjustable slider for "growth rate"

how do I know where to slide this amount to?? is there a formula I can use to obtain this information??? when I first inputed this info the slider went to what I believe was a "default" rate at 3.02

I have a 2000ml erlenmeyer with foam stopper to allow the starter to breath in/out.

not using any o2 and I was going to use the 1 gram of of extra plain DME for every 10 ml of final starter wort volume as a base to reach a 1.030-1.040 gravity.

it is at a growth rate below 2.7 that the calculator then recommends to use 2 smack packs. but remains using 1 all the way up to 5.9 growth rate.

any help would be appreciated thanks in advance -F.R.B.

"Growth factor" measures the extent to which yeast will tend to multiply, and different calculators use different values as a default. Unfortunately, it's not really the kind of thing you can figure out theoretically. Unless you're looking to run some experiments yourself, your best bet is to just use the default value.

Let us know what you think of the app. I don't have a laptop and the calculator on the mobile Mr malty website requires plug ins you can't get on a phone.

I've considered getting the app, but I haven't had any issues pitching yeast so far. It would only be to try and really dial my beers in.
So id like your thoughts on the app.

Back