Using litlle sugar on mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny2

Reaction score
Is using few hundred grams of sugar ok for raising the abv of mead?

By my calculations, the mead is 83% honey for fermentable sugars. I'm adding berries after primary and backsweetening with honey.

Is it ok to add some sugar to mead to increase the abv?

flavor wise i mean. I'm still going to add more honey after stabilization.
To answer your question, yes, it's OK to add sugar or any other fermentable sugar to achieve a higher ABV.

Not that it matters, but why not just add more honey instead of sugar?
Is it a cost issue?

Clover honey along with most wildflower honeys are considered carrier honeys, meaning they ferment leaving a mostly neutral flavor, so that other additions can be added for different flavor profiles. They also tend to be cheaper (most times) than other varietals.

To answer your question, yes, it's OK to add sugar or any other fermentable sugar to achieve a higher ABV.

Not that it matters, but why not just add more honey instead of sugar?
Is it a cost issue?

Clover honey along with most wildflower honeys are considered carrier honeys, meaning they ferment leaving a mostly neutral flavor, so that other additions can be added for different flavor profiles. They also tend to be cheaper (most times) than other varietals.
I added it already. I planned it for 12% abv, but I didn't take to account that the currants can possillby dilute it to 10 percent.

We don't have honey with those names. What I can get is

- Hungarian honey, which is crystallized. (I made my first mead with this.) Mead has strong honey taste
- Wildflower honeys from south america
- Domestic wildflower honeys, which are more expensive than imported. I would use these, if I had more money.

Many of the honeys here are crystallized. Clover honey seems like a imported speciality honey here. Orange blossom etc are the same and hard to find. Not available in supermarkets.

For my next mead I'll buy big container wildflower honey, which I can get in a 1.5kg bottle from a big supermarket.

Last edited:
I added it already. I planned it for 12% abv, but I didn't take to account that the currants can possillby dilute it to 10 percent.

We don't have honey with those names. What I can get is

- Hungarian honey, which is crystallized. (I made my first mead with this.) Mead has strong honey taste
- Wildflower honeys from south america
- Domestic wildflower honeys, which are more expensive than imported. I would use these, if I had more money.

Many of the honeys here are crystallized. Clover honey seems like a imported speciality honey here. Orange blossom etc are the same and hard to find. Not available in supermarkets.

For my next mead I'll buy big container wildflower honey, which I can get in a 1.5kg bottle from a big supermarket.
For crystallized honey, put it in a pot with some warm water. (If you have a thermometer, try to keep the water under 100°F)....after the honey has been in there for a while, shake it up or stir it the get the crystallized honey to liquefy. Crystallized honey will throw off your gravity readings & in turn, your final numbers.
Currants can affect your pH so keep an eye on that as well. Potassium carbonate can help buffer the pH swings.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Back