Using Liquid AND Dry Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatchstickBrewingCo.

Reaction score
Long story short, I'm brewing this coming weekend and will not have the time to make a starter for the Wyeast 1056 that I'll be pitching. Could I pitch a combination of that without a starter plus a packet of Safeale US05 dry yeast to make sure it there are enough cells in there?

Any input would be appreciated!

An alternative to making a starter is to propagate the yeast in the fermenter. Greg Doss of Wyeast talks about this in Practical Yeast Management. Essentially you'll pitch the yeast you have into 1/10th of the wort and let that go for a day or two. Then aerate again and add the remainder of the wort.

I cover why it's 1/10th of the wort in my book.

I was in the same situation 2 weeks ago. I pitched a pack of Wyeast 1272 and a pack of BRY-97 into a brown ale. I'm kegging it in about 30 minutes and will report back on how that forced experiment went.

Long story short, I'm brewing this coming weekend and will not have the time to make a starter for the Wyeast 1056 that I'll be pitching. Could I pitch a combination of that without a starter plus a packet of Safeale US05 dry yeast to make sure it there are enough cells in there?

Any input would be appreciated!

Since 1056 and US-05 are the same exact strain you should be totally fine, go for it!

What's the batch size and OG ?
Unless you are doing a large batch over 5 gallons, or high gravity, I would just use the dry yeast and save the liquid for another batch when you have the time to maken a starter?

Since 1056 and US-05 are the same exact strain you should be totally fine, go for it!

Very close, but not quite exactly. BRY-97 is the dry equivalent to 1056 west coast ale. Us-05 = WLP001.

Still, 1056 and US-05 would play just fine together.

I'm making 5 gallons of a hoppy American Wheat beer that should have an OG of 1.045. So you guys think I should just use the dry yeast and call it a day?

Yes. Take care of your dry yeast and it will perform the same as liquid.

You are also looking at a very small starter with an OG only 1.045; no need to decant so maybe that changes your decision. Hell, you could make it the morning of brewday and pitch it at high krausen that evening!

Back