Using fresh hops flowers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Rhoads

Reaction score
Folks,
I am using fresh hop flowers from last falls crop in batches recently, and getting pretty peeved while racking; bits of hop blooms plugging my racking tube. Sure, I realize that I could a) put hops in hop bag or b) strain out hops before I seal my primary fermentor, but I can see potential downsides of each method. I would like to read threads on here (or anywhere else online) concerning this topic. Not sure where to look for such threads. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks guys. By the way, I am the one who suggested packing dried fresh hops into glass jars, then using a 20oz. paint ball CO2 cylinder to degas (deoxygenate) before sealing in a thread on hops preservation last year. I am happy to report that it works well. These hops are still quite pungent. Thanks

If you don't want to worry about straining, just wrap the hop bag over the racking cane when you transfer.

I am a big fan of using whole hops, and this is the method I use

-Jason

Back