Using coffee creamer in primary or secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hume-ulus

Reaction score
Has anyone ever put coffee creamer in their beer? Just asking since it crossed my mind and sounds like (at least in my pee brain) it could be interesting if I add the right amount.

I think the general consensus is no. Regular creamer has milk which can go rancid. Non dairy creamer is mostly vegetable fats and other artificial stuff to make it resemble the mouthfeel of real cream. Not something thats going to be great for your beer.

EWWWWW...

The principal ingredients in all of these nondairy creamers are sugars and vegetable oils. The three brands contain partially hydrogenated oils loaded with trans fats. The Coffee-mate label indicates the oil could be any of the following: coconut, palm kernel, soybean, cottonseed, or safflower. The sugars are a combination of corn syrup, maltodextrin, and sugar.

All three brands contain sodium caseinate. The sodium caseinate's purpose is to provide a hint of dairy flavor as well as to create a thickening and whitening for a creamy look and feel. Sodium caseinate is obtained from fresh and pasteurized skim milk by acid coagulation of the casein, neutralization with sodium hydroxide, and drying in a spray dryer.

Common among the nondairy creamers is dipotassium phosphate (a powder used to moderate coffee acidity), mono and diglycerides (to prevent oil separation), and natural and artificial flavors and colors.

If you want a "creaminess" use a non fermentable sugar like lactose.

Either pee or pea......... same general meaning on my part..... :)
So the non dairy was what I was thinking not a liquid. I didnt know what to expect. I havent done it and thats why I posted it here first. I like trying different things in cooking and some things work and others dont. I dont have any lactose and will be getting some, some time soon. I just figured I'd ask in case it actually worked and some one else had already tried it. Thanks for the warnings. I wouldnt have used milk. THat would have been nasty and grounds for terminating my account...................... :)

Try searching recipes for Milk Stout or Sweet Stout. Like Yooper said, that style uses lactose, which is milk sugar.

I have put flavored liquid non dairy creamer in my beer before. mmmm.... White Chocolate Mocha...

*duck*

By the glass, in a velvety smooth rich chocolatey stout. It curdles up just about right away, but the taste was awesome. Along the lines of a stout milkshake. But for a whole batch, it just would not have the shelf life. Do it a glass at a time, every now and then. Also, it wouldn't work with the powdered stuff. That stuff won't dissolve in cold liquid.

KS I agree. It would have been in the boil if at any time. Yes I know I said primary or secondary but that was just to get folks to look........ My brain may be smaller then yours and most others here but thats just my brain........ other things make up for it........... Not really. I'm Scotish. Thank you for replying. It was just a thought. I've been playing around with the junk we have around here to enhance flavors (vanilla, corn sugar, brown sugar, cactus sugar, nose sugar............) I am kidding again......... I'm sure some JA has done that though for real. Any way too many today adn I'm off to bed to see what happens now that the BUZZ'S have set in adn my wife is half asleep......... good times. I doubt I would be as understanding or cooperative if I was a woman.........................................

Back