Using bucket for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat1993

Reaction score
I'm about to start some of yoopers welches wine recipe but all my carboys are in use. I was wondering if it would be alright to use a 5 gallon bucket with an airlock on it for secondary. I'm planning on fermenting 60-90 days in secondary. Not trying to make anything fancy, just some cheap alcohol.

I use them but it is a no-no because of the amount of air space. I just use plastic tubing, waxed in with a balloon for an airlock. I ferment mine between 60 and 75 days, but I drink my wine young. As soon as it clears, it is in the fridge ready to consume. It is more for a healthy, medicinal buzz, more than anything. Works for me, but the experts know better....

Here is the "only" thing I have heard, whether it's totally true or not, hard to say.

Plastic is a lot more porous than glass, so not good for long secondary racking. Glass carboys are best for that. How long are you carboys in use for? You could always let this one ferment longer, and wait.

Here is the "only" thing I have heard, whether it's totally true or not, hard to say.

Plastic is a lot more porous than glass, so not good for long secondary racking. Glass carboys are best for that. How long are you carboys in use for? You could always let this one ferment longer, and wait.

Good point, and there's a possible solution in that statement.

How about: keep it in the plastic fermenter bucket UNTIL you free up a carboy (whenever that may be) and rack it then.

It's not ideal, but we do what we can with the equipment we have! :)

Back