Using beer to sanitize bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorHops

Reaction score
This sounds weird to me. Has anyone tried it? Or even heard of it before?

I received an auto syphon and a Vinator(tm) for Christmas. On the instructions for the Vinator(tm) there are two types of instructions for sanitizing bottles. The first, and how I expect to use it, is to fill the Vinator(tm) with sanitizer, like Iodophor, then proceed to use the Vinator(tm) to squirt the sanitizer into each bottle. So far so good, and nothing expected. Then comes the second method, which I have never heard mentioned before and wasn't expecting, filling the Vinator(tm) with the beer or wine you are bottling and then proceed to use the Vinator(tm) to squirt the beer or wine into each bottle. At least that is what I think the instructions are saying; they are translated from Italian and are a bit stilted.

I suppose you are thinking DoctorHops must have misread or misinterpreted the instructions, but here they are:

"Sterilizing: follow the same instructions given here above, using the same wine that afterwards will be bottled, instead of sterilizing liquid."

Is anyone familiar with this technique? It can't be sanitizing, just cleaning the bottles with liquid that one hopes doesn't contain nasty stuff. I suspect it may be held over from when sanitizers were not commonly available? I am not going to try it, but I am always interested in novel ways of doing things that we take for granted. It seems like there are lots of things that could go wrong, including wasting a bottle or so of good beer.

That just does not sound right.
If beer or wine was able to sanitize things, then why do we bother sanitizing the bottles and so forth to begin with.
As you surmised, ignore that part of the instructions and sanitize with idophor, star-san or whatever as you would do for any other equipment.

Makes no sense to me, if the liquid you are going to bottle inherently sanitizes the bottle, you wouldn't need to do anything, just fill the bottles.

Back