Bottle Cap Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting Paradox about the collar on the beer bottles not being long enough for the winged capper.
The Hobgoblin beer bottles have a long collar but the bottom of the collar tapers onto the bottle so a winged capper can't engage on this taper and it doesn't work. Bench capper works fine.

Also I've noticed that some champagne bottles now are thin necked, Mumm and a Moet bottle I collected recently, these take the standard beer cap and not a champagne bottle standard.
I read somewhere that " lubricating the bell " made the capping process a little easier, haven't tried it myself.

Glad the lagunitas bottling issue was solved and ingenious rescue removing the bell and tapping it to finish it off.

I read somewhere that " lubricating the bell " made the capping process a little easier, haven't tried it myself.
I had trouble with some poor seals when using a bench capper. I also read about lubing the bell and tried that - it solved the problem. I use parafin wax, rubbing it on the inside of the bell before starting each case. I found that without lubing, the bottle was kind of stuck in the bell and had to be pulled out. After lubing, it comes out of the bell much easier. I think it tends to hold onto the cap, and pulling it out pulls on the cap and sometimes moves it a little, causing the poor seal.

Latest posts

Back