Using an Air Compressor to Fill a CO2 Tank yourself?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that'll give you compressed air, but not pure CO2... so your beer will still experience oxidation because you'll be pumping air into the keg.

Yeah. And air compressor just compresses air. It doesn't produce CO2. You'd have to have a way to supply pure CO2 to the compressor for it to work.

If you simply use an air compressor to fill a CO2 tank, you will simply get air in your CO2 tank. NOT CO2. Air is composed of many gases, ie. nitrogen, oxygen, etc. You do not want to do this! Our whole goal from the point after which we pitch our yeast is to avoid oxygen.

so them instrutions seemed pretty dodgy even if you were fine with filling the tank with air. I mean times the size (doesn't mention if it means lbs, kg or volume) by 2 and go for that many seconds, not reference for pressure to fill at or anything. And then it says that it might be dangerous if you don't follow the directions!

This is about the dumbest thing I have heard for a very long time. A typical air compressor won't reach much above 120-150 psi, or roughly 10 atmospheres at best. So, just eyeballing it, I'd say you might get something like 5 or 6 cubic feet of air into a 20 lb CO2 tank and a whole lot less than that in the 10's and 5's. The pressure will drop steadily as the air is depleted, unlike a cylinder filled with liquid CO2. So, lets say you have it hooked up to a nail gun or an air impact wrench. You might be able to run the air impact wrench for about 30 seconds before the pressure dropped to a worthless level. The nail gun might go a little further as they use less air, but it will still be a short run and hardly worth the effort. You also risk introducing moisture into your CO2 tank which can cause interior corrosion problems. Not a good thing. Now then, regarding using it for beer, IIRC, air contains something like 19% oxygen, 79% nitrogen and 2% other gasses including CO2. So, you would be introducing a lot of oxygen and very little CO2. IOW, it won't work at all for force carbonating or serving. The exception would be for serving from a keg that will be consumed in short order. That would be no different than using an air type party pump on a keg. Then there is the risk that the air compressor may actually introduce some lubricating oil into your CO2 tank along with the air. Again, not a good thing and it would be expensive to correct properly. I don't know where the a-hole got the notion to time the air compressor. This, like the rest of that shiit, makes no sense at all. Air compressors vary widely in their output and pressures, making the timing suggestion nothing short of stupid. CO2 is not very expensive and a tank typically lasts quite awhile. JMO...nothing else.

Those surplus military radial 4 cylinder compressors will get you 2-3K psi but again usless without pure Co2 to compress vs dirty old air your still screwed.
Refilling a bottle at high pressures is like playing with bombs drunk and blind.

Hey how's the weather in NZ?

Ummmm...Plus the CO2 that is in your tank, is actually in liquid form, and is filled by weight, not volume. It changes into a gas as it leaves the tank.

I'm going to assume that was to me Beemer ;)
Weather here is pretty shocking at the mo, getting pretty cold and wet! I don't really have anything to complain about though, the guy that sits next to me is from BC, Canada and he was just back there and apparently it was hot and humid and then his stories about the BC winters just plain scare me!
And back on topic ------- another No do not do this!

Those surplus military radial 4 cylinder compressors will get you 2-3K psi but again usless without pure Co2 to compress vs dirty old air your still screwed.
Refilling a bottle at high pressures is like playing with bombs drunk and blind.

Yes Carl, and so do the compressors they use to fill scuba tanks, but it's very unlikely that the average home brewer has one of those sitting in his garage. You probably do, but more than likely nobody else does.:D

Yeah, go ahead and push 3,000 psi into your CO2 tank that's rated for maybe 800 or so max. Been nice knowing ya! That was not pointed at you Carl, but I'm sure you already knew that. It was intended for the idiot that suggested this crap in that link.

Read the link - the poster mentioned an 8 ounce CO2 tank. Probably meant it for the paintball crew, but failed to mention that. Even so, you still couldn't get the same pressures with a regular air compressor.

Catt22, yup, dad paid $85 times four for Army surplus 4 stage radial compressors in the early 70's used for our scuba refills out at sea, the California coast and Mexico. Powered by 24 VDC motors off a 24 VDC aircraft generator mounted on dad's 64 LandRover our dive vehicle. At sea off the 24 VDC generator. My 1952 scuba tank from dad is all I have left. One pump end up with steam run thru it as a motor.
Oops OT again.
Like you stated high pressure into a 800# Co2 bottle is crazy but I must mention a friend working at a testing lab took a 20# Co2 bottle up over 4,200 psi without it failing. D.O.T. approved truck air tanks operating at 110 to 125 psi i've seen tested at 875 psi without a failure. My Swastika stamped Hitler era 1937 Nitrogen bottle still passes with a +10% overcharge or 2,050 psi.

I worked for one of the larger compressed air manufacturers for a number of years and regardless of what you're using this for (if involves brew) I personally wouldn't want to be drinking it. Any recip compressor at a minumum is throwing of 7-10ppm of oil carryover downstream not to mention a lot of other funky condensate and contaminants.

As I think was mentioned above, tanks are usually filled with high pressure recips and also have NFPA-99 breathing air systems installed downstream.

Just open the drain valve on your receiver tank some time and see what comes out...I think you'd agree you wouldn't want that coming close to your beer.

I can't believe everyone dismissed this idea so quickly. The guy that came up with this is likely a genius and given time he will come up with a car that runs on water and a cure for cancer.

I bet you all would have laughed at Edison when he invented the moped too.

Yeah, go ahead and push 3,000 psi into your CO2 tank that's rated for maybe 800 or so max. Been nice knowing ya! That was not pointed at you Carl, but I'm sure you already knew that. It was intended for the idiot that suggested this crap in that link.

Typically a CO2 cylinder has service pressure around 1800 a max rating of like 3200 PSI and a failure rating of 5500. There are many times I see the high pressure reg on a cylinder in the warehouse around 1800-1900 on a hot day.

The safety burst disks in the valve run from 2200-2800 PSI. so at worst pushing 3000 PSI into the tank will make a lot of hissing noise.

Also. a lot of the high end paintball tanks have something like 4500PSI ratings.

I can't believe everyone dismissed this idea so quickly. The guy that came up with this is likely a genius and given time he will come up with a car that runs on water and a cure for cancer.

I bet you all would have laughed at Edison when he invented the moped too.

Well played :D

Read the link - the poster mentioned an 8 ounce CO2 tank. Probably meant it for the paintball crew, but failed to mention that. Even so, you still couldn't get the same pressures with a regular air compressor.

I read the link. The size of the CO2 tank is irrelevant. Yeah, you won't come anywhere near close to enough pressure with a standard air compressor to blow up a CO2 tank. That's why I said timing the fill is so stupid. It will stop filling when the compressor maxes out and this will not damage the compressor as they normally have pressure relief valves and also pressure operated switches that shut them down or release air at a pre-set pressure. Most home type compressors have a built in air tank and it will have a max working pressure at something like 200 psi or thereabouts IIRC. If there was no mechanism to shut down the compressor, it too could become a bomb, although it's doubtful that the compressor would have enough oomph to blow up the tank. The motor would likely overheat and shut down long before the tank exploded. The bottom line is that you won't be able to pump up any type of CO2 tank with a common air compressor to be of much use for anything at all.

The biggest problem with this is that all air compressors, except those used for to fill SCUBA tanks; are lubricated with oil. That inevitably gets into the air, CO2, NO2 or what ever you're pumping into the tank. Even if you could condense the high pressure vapor into a liquid and move it into the tank, the oil would be entrained with it.

Imagine your beer, any beer with WD-40 as an aftertaste! :tank:

Back