Using a platics water bottle #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bing09

Reaction score
i know this topic has been exhausted throughout the brewing forums, but I haven't hear much advice/talk about #7 plastic. My wife bought some cheap three gallon water bottles from target for four bucks a bottle. The bottom says for water use only. My thought is....although most people say to only use number 2 and 3...I would think if it is safe for drinking water use... It could be used for beer as well. Any thoughts or advice with using number 7 plastic to ferment in would be greatly appreciated.

There's no defintive answers just opinions. AND some make sense. Nowadays <2> and <3>s are almost more readily available than number 7s, because of the Bisophenal Recalls. 7's are sort of a catchall category of plastics, they aren't as definitive as number 2's and 3's for plastics.

The trouble with explaining plastic #7 is that no one can say for sure what it is. Look for an expanded explanation or code, and you usually end up with the unhelpful &#8220;other&#8221; label. Plastic #7 is the code assigned to any plastic that does not fit into the other six rather well-defined categories of material.
What Exactly is Plastic #7?

Plastic #7 includes two main types: acrylonitrile styrene or styrene acrylonitrile (referred to as AS/SAN), and acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS). Both are prolific and are used to make high quality, strong plastics such as:

* Mixing bowls
* Toothbrushes
* LEGO toys
* Golf club heads
* Automotive parts
* Protective head gear

Perhaps the best known type of plastic #7 is polycarbonate because of the controversy surrounding Bisphenol-A (BPA). Polycarbonate is used in the production of:

* Three- and five-gallon water bottles
* Plastic reusable water bottles
* Tupperware
* Sunglasses
* CDs
* Cell phones

Tough to Recycle

Aside from the potential health risks of BPA, there are few municipal or commercial programs that accept #7. This makes some sense, considering the possibility of collecting many different and incompatible materials in a #7 bin.

Ironically, plastic #7 also includes the new bio-based plastics that use corn, potato or sugar derivatives. While these are not recyclable either, and they are slower to degrade than other products, these items will break down in a commercial compost facility.

From the NY times.
How do I know if the plastic containers in my home contain BPA?

Any product made of hard, clear plastic is probably made from polycarbonate unless the manufacturer specifically states that it&#8217;s BPA-free. One way to check is to look for the triangle stamp on or near the bottom: polycarbonate plastics should have the numeral 7 in the triangle, sometimes with the letters PC.

Unfortunately, 7 is a catchall &#8220;other&#8221; category for a variety of plastics. In my own kitchen, I found just one product with a 7 &#8212; plastic fruit cups my daughter takes to school. But the plastic is soft and pliable, so it is probably not made with BPA.

I also found refillable water bottles without a stamp. Because they are hard, shatterproof and clear, it&#8217;s reasonable to assume they are made from polycarbonate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/health/22well.html

So there's no gaurentee what you are getting with a number 7. I have a couple and have used them....but sparingly. Like I said you can get 2's and 3's pretty easily these days...so I would shy away from them. Or use them only as a last resort and for short term use.

We honestly just don't know...

Thanks for the detailed response. I failed to mention that on he bottom it also says BPA free... So that isn't a concern. I might keep one and use it when needed. Thanks

According to research, the most toxic plastics are #7, #3 and #6, So you must avoid those, except those somewhat safer includes #1, #2, #4 and #5. If you want to use, then go for #1,#2,#4 and #5, but only for limited use and completely avoid 1, 3, 6, and 7 (polycarbonate).

Back