Using a 20 gal trash can for a fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the 20 Gallon Brute and I only move it empty. I put my fermentation fridge up on stilts that I built out of 4x4s and on old pallet. I pump my wort directly into it from the kettle (via the counterflow chiller).

I drilled a hole near the bottom and put in a bucket spigot with a PVC 90 on the inside to use as a dip tube. When I'm ready to fill kegs, I spray the spigot full of StarSan from my trusty spray bottle, attach a sanitized hose, and gravity feed directly into kegs.

I use velcro to attach the temp sensor for the fridge to the side of the fermenter. Works great! I do hove to slide the fermenter a few inches forward when I hook up the hose, but no big deal.

I am looking into these and noticed that they are Low density LDPE #4 on Amazon, it doesn't say what the Home Depot ones are, but it says food safe. I am concerned because I thought only HDPE was good.

i only secondary now if i'm going to let let it sit for a long time or if I want to wash the yeast. Other than that just do primary it saves a lot of time.

Latest posts

Back