Used turkey fryer pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
I've got a turkey frying pot that I've been frying turkeys in for years. Can I use this same pot for beer or will the aluminum retain any smells of the turkey and peanut oil? Thanks!

I'm not sure but I have used my aluminum brewing kettle to fry 3 turkeys with no ill effects. I would try it after a very through scrubbing and then building the needed oxidation layer in the pot.

Thats what I use for now, it will not hurt anything. Clean it good then fill it up and boil for 30 minutes(think that is recommended time)

Clean it very well, then boil water for a full hour in it - this gives it that oxidation layer to prevent off flavors from leaching intot he beer.

I spoke with a guy one time who told me he used a turkey fryer setup for brewing and turkey frying, and he said he washed it good after frying turkeys and never noticed anything.

I used mine to boil a deer head so I could make a European mount of it, and then brewed with that pot and had no ill effects. Not sure if that relates much, but that's OK, I mainly wanted to make you sick.

Back