used soda keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
i just bought a used soda keg from lhbs...for the price i assumed it was new. it is not. it's dented all to hell and there is some black stains from top to bottom. I assume it's from a few ounces of soda being left in it and it laying on it's side for who only knows how long. i have cleaned some of it but not sure I will be able to get all of it out. if i oxiclean and sanitize it, will it be ok?

If you can get all the crud out you should be ok. If you can't return it and ask for a replacement. Ive bought a couple used soda kegs before. They all had to be rinsed well but there were no stains on the inside.

All my kegs came smelling of pop. Disassemble the in and out posts, clean everything with hot water (and preferably PBW) then sanitize all parts and reassemble. It sucks that we pay $60 for a keg that's beat to help but it is what it is. Kyle

i just bought a used soda keg from lhbs...for the price i assumed it was new. it is not. it's dented all to hell and there is some black stains from top to bottom. I assume it's from a few ounces of soda being left in it and it laying on it's side for who only knows how long. i have cleaned some of it but not sure I will be able to get all of it out. if i oxiclean and sanitize it, will it be ok?

It takes some work but you can easily get the soda residue/smell out. I just had to do this on my two kegs I just got. I soaked mine with oxyclean free for a day dumped it out and resonated it again with more oxyclean. This got rid of it completely. Just make sure to fully rinse the oxy residue out after you use it if you try my way. Depending on your dents you can use a rubber mallet to try to get them out! Good luck! Cheers

All the stink will be from residue from the "pop" days. Soak with bugger with a gallon of PBW and change all the O rings & it'll be fine - it's stainless steel.

i have learned my lesson, I will buy new kegs from now on. Thanks for all the posts...I cleaned it out as best I could and put beer in it, we'll see what happens.

i have learned my lesson, I will buy new kegs from now on. Thanks for all the posts...I cleaned it out as best I could and put beer in it, we'll see what happens.

I ordered some used kegs from adventures in home brewing. They were super cheap because they were said to be loose handled kegs but they were completely fine. Tons of reviews also say this. I had to clean the soda out but after that little bit of work I had some great kegs, two for about 60 bucks.

Latest posts

Back