Used old yeast - what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbriscoe

Reaction score
I just made a gallon of hard cider and used the remaining half packet of champagne yeast that I used on my last batch back in Oct. Its been in a zip lock in the fridge. The yeast isn't dead - its bubbling constantly up from the bottom and the airlock is popping every 5 seconds or so and has been for about 5 days. However, it isn't bubbling nearly as fast as the last batch I made right after opening the yeast packet 5 months ago. There was no krausen this time.

So will this ferment completely if I just wait? Or will I have to repitch at some point?

If its champagne yeast it will most likely ferment completely out. As many of us on here will tell you, bubbling is not a quantitative measurement of fermentation, it is however qualitative. Just let them be, the champagne yeast are going to ferment the sh*t out of that cider, just be patient and after about a week or two, take a gravity reading. It will most likely be done, but if it isnt, than you could pitch more.

3 identical gravity readings for 3 days means fermentation is complete(depending on your OG) What was your OG anyway?
-Jefe-

If its champagne yeast it will most likely ferment completely out. As many of us on here will tell you, bubbling is not a quantitative measurement of fermentation, it is however qualitative. Just let them be, the champagne yeast are going to ferment the sh*t out of that cider, just be patient and after about a week or two, take a gravity reading. It will most likely be done, but if it isnt, than you could pitch more.

3 identical gravity readings for 3 days means fermentation is complete(depending on your OG) What was your OG anyway?
-Jefe-

Around 1.102

The champagne yeast will most likely ferment out completely (depending how much sugar you put into the cider). They are a pretty EtOH tolerant strain. If your gravity readings are around 1.030-1.040 after 2 weeks you will most likely need to repitch. The problem with 1 gal batches is when you take gravity readings you reduce your volume. I would wait 2 weeks to check. Most likely you will be around 1.010, if thats the case, then you can bottle.
-Jefe-

Back