Used Keg Procurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fernholz

Reaction score
Hi All,

My Name is Derek, I am currently an extract / partial mash brewer and am looking to set up my all-grain setup. I have it all planned out and I thought I would get the hardest part out of the way first.

I am looking for used / decommissioned / damaged / whathaveyou 1/2 bbl (15.5 gal) kegs (3 to be exact) to convert into my HLT, MLT, and brew kettle. I have called liquor stores, which led me to the distributors, which led me to the breweries themselves, and to no avail. I'm looking for any and all information on the subject of procuring kegs (legitimately) and any help is greatly appreciated! Is this a worthwhile search?

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Anything in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area is greatly encouraged!

Have you talked to the folks at your local homebrew shop?

My local shop actually sells them (I never knew this until a few weeks ago.)

Sorry, I left that off, I did call both of the main, local homebrew shops... they were straight forward with an emphatic NO. I think they're looking to have you buy some crazy expensive blichmann gear or something :)

Build Your Own
OPTION : Reconditioned $129.00 3 $387.00
Subtotal: $387.00
Shipping: $52.59
Tax: $0.00
Total: $439.59

Not terrible, I will definitely keep that in mind if my search continues the way it has been. Now to find a local welder, haha.

I put an add on Craigslist and was offered quite a few over some time. I ended up only using one for my boil vessel and two cooler for the rest of my tier. I use the other sankes (name of 1/2 barrel kegs) as fermenters.

Good luck.

Build Your Own
OPTION : Reconditioned $129.00 3 $387.00
Subtotal: $387.00
Shipping: $52.59
Tax: $0.00
Total: $439.59

Not terrible, I will definitely keep that in mind if my search continues the way it has been. Now to find a local welder, haha.

Sabco will weld couplings onto your keg, too. I think it's around $25 per coupling if memory serves.

Thanks again for the info, guys. I'll let you know what direction I decide to go. I have a few leads from the email I sent out to the Minnesota Homebrewer's Association and may take one of them up on it.

Have you considered rubbermaid coolers? They work great for me and you might save a penny or two... I guess it depends on how you want to build your setup (Stand, mash tun burner, etc.)

Just a thought though.

Have you considered rubbermaid coolers? They work great for me and you might save a penny or two... I guess it depends on how you want to build your setup (Stand, mash tun burner, etc.)

Just a thought though.

He's looking for something to boil in, too.

You are correct Walker, I am looking build a single tier rims type system, taking some examples from the brutus ten and other systems. Leaving room for future automation or semi-automation. I am a professional web developer with a degree in software engineering / computer science / mathematics with plenty of electrical engineering experience. I hope to incorporate as much of that as possible into my little brewery.

Back