used grain to sour beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
I walked in the door after work and knew I picked up something interesting...

Smells goat ish. I tried the beer and it's slightly tart and taste like it as well. Should i just dump this? It's dropped 10 gravity points in a day.

Started a boil to try to save it. Started to foam up a ton.

Wild cultures have a mix of bacteria and fungus (including "yeast"). Therefore fermentation is expected when you pitch a wild mixed culture.

"Goat" flavor is known to come from capric acid, caprylic acid, and caproic acid. These names are in fact stemming from the Latin word for goat. They have a high boiling point and so they're probably not driven off in the boil. If you enjoy the flavor, then it's all good.

You can add sugar and possibly some yeast nutrient to get the ABV up.

Thank you for the fast reply. My stomach is upside down just from the smell thinking I will bow of this one.

I was going for a kettle sour America wheat. But this is too funky for me i might end up leaving sours for the pros.

It's very easy to make great beer using the co-souring process I recommend:
https://***************.com/wiki/Sour_beer
No goat flavor. ;)

Thank you for the fast reply. My stomach is upside down just from the smell thinking I will bow of this one.
There's a notable difference between goatey (Caprylic acid) and puke (Butyric/Isobutyric acid).

If you like goat cheese, you may appreciate the first. No-one cares for the latter, AFAIK, but that doesn't mean your beer has spoiled. These grain-inoculated kettle sours can throw some real putrid smells, but once those subside, the resulting liquid can be very nice. Let it run, you can always dump it later if need be.

These grain-inoculated kettle sours can throw some real putrid smells, but once those subside, the resulting liquid can be very nice. Let it run, you can always dump it later if need be.
What leads to you to believe these flavors would fade?

Back