Use for relay output PIDs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I was planning on ordering the standard Auber 2352 PIDs for my eHERMS build. Then someone said they had a few Love Controls PIDs (model 16130) that I can have for free. The problem is that they are relay output. Is there an easy way to adapt these for SSRs?

If they won't work for controlling temperatures, what else can I use them for? I was thinking of maybe just using it for the MLT to monitor temps since I won't actually be controlling anything. Any other good uses?

I was planning on ordering the standard Auber 2352 PIDs for my eHERMS build. Then someone said they had a few Love Controls PIDs (model 16130) that I can have for free. The problem is that they are relay output. Is there an easy way to adapt these for SSRs?

If they won't work for controlling temperatures, what else can I use them for? I was thinking of maybe just using it for the BK to monitor temps since I won't actually be controlling anything. Any other good uses?

I don't see why they couldn't be used to drive the input of an SSR. Try it. Or call Auber (they are very good at picking up the phone). You might need to put a resistor in series to limit the current through the SSR optocoupler input.

I would think you could use the output contacts to close 6VDC or so (from a wall wart) through to the SSR control input.

The ones I've seen have contact closures for controlling relays, solenoids valves, etc. depending on the application. The model the OP referenced may be able to be configured either way.... I'm not sure if this document applies to that particular model?
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/PDF_files/1600_manual.pdf

That's the manual and I read through it. I just don't know much about how these work. I also found this: http://www.mod-tronic.com/mod_pdf/love_pdf/1600_cat.pdf. On the last page is says this:

"When ordering a control to operate contactor or solenoid loads greater than 100mA, it is suggested that the SSR output be selected rather than the RELAY. If the RELAY output is selected, then also order part number 541-0014, R/C Snubber."

Would an R/C Snubber make it work with my SSRs?

That's the manual and I read through it. I just don't know much about how these work. I also found this: http://www.mod-tronic.com/mod_pdf/love_pdf/1600_cat.pdf. On the last page is says this:

"When ordering a control to operate contactor or solenoid loads greater than 100mA, it is suggested that the SSR output be selected rather than the RELAY. If the RELAY output is selected, then also order part number 541-0014, R/C Snubber."

Would an R/C Snubber make it work with my SSRs?

No. A snubber reduces spikes from relay closures that might damage the PID. The SSRs don't have windings like a relay coil so they don't require this snubber.

In my experience from building hot glass equipment, most relay control PID's do in fact have internal relays so I think you could use that relay to send a 6v control signal to SSR's. One caveat is you CANNOT switch mechanical relays as fast as you can switch SSR's, even the little internal ones in the controller, as there are mechanical parts which do wear so faster switching means faster failure. On PID's designed to control SSR's, there's an internally powered 5v (usually) circuit so no external power is routed through those - they're also digital and switching them on and off fast doesn't wear them out, leave that to voltage spikes and letting it get too hot.

I have several old controllers laying around and chose to buy new Auber PID's for my panel. I could have kluged something together but for less than $50 a controller, I decided to do it right and not have to do it again.

The controllers I used in my studio were FAR more expensive than the Auber stuff and were great for the purposes I used them for but the reason we have all these options available to us is that there are a lot of different uses that a controller can be put to.

Those Love 16's would probably make great ferm chamber controllers or keezer controllers though, so take 'em.

BSD

No. A snubber reduces spikes from relay closures that might damage the PID. The SSRs don't have windings like a relay coil so they don't require this snubber.

I agree - snubbers are only needed where you have inductive "kick" from a relay coil or solenoid coil winding (counter-EMF spike). You should be ok switching a small, DC control voltage to the input of your SSR.

A call or note to their tech support group should help if there's any doubt.

So it looks like I'd be better off with getting the appropriate PIDs from Auber to control my SSRs for the heating elements. I could use the Love 1600 PIDs for temp readings like in the MLT as long as I don't mind that they all don't look the same in the panel. I thought about throwing another probe after the CFC to monitor that temp too if I get these for free.

I could also use these for a keezer or fermentation chamber. Any other good uses?

I suppose they could be used for controlling any heating or cooling device like an oven (like for powder coat work), electric kiln, glycol chiller, maybe some solar projects, homemade nuke plant, etc.;)

Ever since I saw the other thread on sous vide, I've been thinking of trying it out. Would this be a good use for the relay PID? If so, what's the best way to set this up?

I guess what's confusing me is why would these PIDs be good for fermenting/keezers/etc but not brewing? Is it constant cycling on/off

Ever since I saw the other thread on sous vide, I've been thinking of trying it out. Would this be a good use for the relay PID? If so, what's the best way to set this up?

I guess what's confusing me is why would these PIDs be good for fermenting/keezers/etc but not brewing? Is it constant cycling on/off

The cycling on and off would be more like your home refrigerator, and not many times in given number of minutes. An ssr switches depending on demand, many time a second. This is why it is often referred to in percentage of on time. Its creates something like an average voltage.

Back