Us05 experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
i brewed with us05 many of times, but im starting to discover it is not as clean as it is said to be, i get a tart twang from it, i am 100% certain its not contamination, the beer is still tasty and enjoyable but the finish is tart and/or sharp and i get it almost everytime i use this yeast again its not bad but just started putting 2 and 2 together, any one else detect tartness with us05?

Yes and thank you! I made a cream ale with it (I know, not the best choice) and it was disappointing and the tartness was a big part of the disappointment... I had thought it was owing mainly to the amount of dextrose (which I've never used in anything else, save bottling) I used, but still had the feeling there was a bit more to it than that.

Yes and thank you! I made a cream ale with it (I know, not the best choice) and it was disappointing and the tartness was a big part of the disappointment... I had thought it was owing mainly to the amount of dextrose (which I've never used in anything else, save bottling) I used, but still had the feeling there was a bit more to it than that.
Its definitely the yeast maybe some cant detect it and others like you and i are sensitive to it🤷🏻 I am gonna switch my dry house yeast to something different probably bry 97 or until i find the right one, usually prefer1056 but for my cleans wanna make it easy( by easy mean no extra cost on dme or making a starter)

I've used US05 only once. I won't use it again. One comment in my log was that it was a waste of good grain. I didn't comment on any tartness, but there was a distinct lack of flavor from the malt.

I've used US05 only once. I won't use it again. One comment in my log was that it was a waste of good grain. I didn't comment on any tartness, but there was a distinct lack of flavor from the malt.
Yeah and for the beers i brew i cant have no lack of malt, it does chew thru alot

What temp are you fermenting at?

There seems to be a bit of a mentality shift on HBT regarding US-05. In the past, people almost always insisted keeping it below 66-68 because of the flavor profile. As of recent I seem to see people talk about how forgiving it is 68+. I’m not sure what’s driven the change but I’m in the below 68 camp. I ferment it in the mid 60’s and find I clean and enjoyable.

What where the recipe(s)? what were the brew day measurements? did you note the 'best by' date on the package? Full or partial package (if partial, initial use or secondary use?)

This 'off flavor thing' from yeast is getting confusing. I thought forum wisdom was that S-04 presented tart and US-05 presented peach below 65F (or was that above 65? or was it all the time? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️).

What temp are you fermenting at?

There seems to be a bit of a mentality shift on HBT regarding US-05. In the past, people almost always insisted keeping it below 66-68 because of the flavor profile. As of recent I seem to see people talk about how forgiving it is 68+. I’m not sure what’s driven the change but I’m in the below 68 camp. I ferment it in the mid 60’s and find I clean and enjoyable.
I have zero problems with temps this or that, its the yeast but as I mentioned i mighy be one who detects it but us05 is not “clean” its cleanish

If anyone is comparing notes, my disappointment was fermented right @ 68°

I have zero problems with temps
Sorry, I wasn’t implying that you have temp control issues. What I’m mean is one can target and ferment at 70 but that can have markedly different flavor profiles than fermenting at 64. I’m curious what temps you’re picking up your “twang” at? Are you getting twang in the mid to low 60’s too?

I use it a lot. I'd estimate over 200 batches with US-05 with about 20% new dry packs and 80% harvesting the yeast from a previous batch. It is a relatively neutral and reliable yeast. Relatively high attenuation, flocs well but can still be used to make a hazy. Appreciates careful temperature control--I like to start it at 66F and then let it free rise to 68 till fermentation is mostly done and then and finish it at 70. Very good in a west coast IPA or an APA. I've also been happy with it in stouts and american wheat beers. Good for kettle sours like Gose and Berliner Weisse too.

Sorry, I wasn’t implying that you have temp control issues. What I’m mean is one can target and ferment at 70 but that can have markedly different flavor profiles than fermenting at 64. I’m curious what temps you’re picking up your “twang” at? Are you getting twang in the mid to low 60’s too?
And im sorry if it came off defensive like i have temp issues 😆 any temp with h us05 i get twang, i ran the gauntlet probably in the hundreds or upper double digits

Us05 is not 1056 and i dont care what anyone says, might be from same stock but different treatment over time = acclimation and changes

I read a lot of criticism about this yeast on this site. Every time I use US-05 I am pleasantly surprised how clean and clear it is. I usually ferment around 16-18C and am very happy with a variety of styles.

I guess I am not a super taster which is fine by me.

Out of curiosity, are you brewing all grain or extract batches?

You could switch to Notty. At the lower end of its temp range, it turns out very neutral and lets the hops and malt shine. Flocs fast, too.

With many dry yeast options, Notty is a good choice if a 'similar' strain isn't working.

If one is interesting in chasing this reported off flavor, split batches would be interesting:
  • US-05 vs (something else)
  • US-05 (sprinkled or re-hydrated) vs US-05 (starter)

I read a lot of criticism about this yeast on this site. Every time I use US-05 I am pleasantly surprised how clean and clear it is. I usually ferment around 16-18C and am very happy with a variety of styles.

Out of curiosity, are you brewing all grain or extract batches?
All grain , i dont think is a matter of being a “super taster” more of a sensitivity thing i think

I do a lot of brewing with us05, but I always start it a bit cool--around 63-64F. After it slows some, let it free rise to 68-70. I haven't experienced off flavors from it.

I'm told it can give some fruity esters at really low temps, like at upper 50s, but I've never tried it.

US05 is a chico strain, but it split from its family tree so far back I don't think it's the "same" as 1056.

I do a lot of brewing with us05, but I always start it a bit cool--around 63-64F. After it slows some, let it free rise to 68-70. I haven't experienced off flavors from it.

I'm told it can give some fruity esters at really low temps, like at upper 50s, but I've never tried it.

US05 is a chico strain, but it split from its family tree so far back I don't think it's the "same" as 1056.
Great point, if i used the word “off flavor” I should correct myself, “tart twang” which actually may or may not be a actual off flavor

I don't want to deflect this topic, it is far too important for that, but I'm British and choose yeast for what they might give to a beer, so would anyone care to help me understand what "Clean" describes about a yeast's characteristic?

Great point, if i used the word “off flavor” I should correct myself, “tart twang” which actually may or may not be a actual off flavor
If it's a flavor you didn't expect, based on process and ingredients, call it what it is.

Try different yeasts, or maybe different ferm temps to get the flavor profile you want. Some people just don't like a particular yeast and maybe it just doesn't agree with your palate. Lots of alternatives to play around with.

I don't want to deflect this topic, it is far too important for that, but I'm British and choose yeast for what they might give to a beer, so would anyone care to help me understand what "Clean" describes about a yeast's characteristic?
In some instances, we don't want the yeast to color the flavor/aroma of the hops or malt.

i dont think is a matter of being a “super taster” more of a sensitivity thing i think
Sensitive to certain flavors that others cant taste is one definition of a 'super taster'

i brewed with us05 many of times, but im starting to discover it is not as clean as it is said to be
If this is a change over time, when did you first notice this?

Change is taste can be a 'side effect' of things not directly related to yeast. After "lock down", a couple of people I know taste beer differently.

I use US05 for only one beer, and that’s a double IPA I make. I pitch at 19C and finish at 21C. I find for that beer it’s a very good yeast and gives me a nice clean finish.

Your taste buds change over time, that's why a beer you loved last year is no longer good to you.. If you don't like it, I'd suggest just try something else.. I love US 05, but also thinking about trying some new yeast just to mix things up.. 🤷‍♂🤷‍♀️

Has anybody come across a dry strain that is WLP001 Cal ale? I have always liked WLP001 the best out of all of the chico options. Tried 1056 and US05 once or twice in West coasters and they were fine, but nothing special imho.

US-05 has always worked fine for me. But I like S-04 as well, might want to try that. It was metioned above that it presented tart, but I'd more descibe as clean and dry with the grain bills I usually use. It seems to have slightly higher attenuation rate than US-05.

For those who brew and package on the weekends, US-05 has an attractive typical fermentation schedule.
I should have mentioned that I'm forming that opinion after one batch took a really long time and it's a pretty unfair bias I have. I normally go two weeks in the fermenter even if it is probably done on day five.

I should have mentioned that I'm forming that opinion after one batch took a really long time and it's a pretty unfair bias I have. I normally go two weeks in the fermenter even if it is probably done on day five.
It definitely takes longer in my experience as well for example i made a 1080 beer with 1056 got it down to 1020 in about 3 days then down to 1012 in 2 more days and had a 1050 beer with us05 took about 7 days to get to 1013 where it stopped

i brewed with us05 many of times, but im starting to discover it is not as clean as it is said to be, i get a tart twang from it, i am 100% certain its not contamination, the beer is still tasty and enjoyable but the finish is tart and/or sharp and i get it almost everytime i use this yeast again its not bad but just started putting 2 and 2 together, any one else detect tartness with us05?
I brewed a 5 gal. batch of Cream of Three Crops in April with US-05 and it was definitely tart. Mellowed a bit with age, but it's still there. I just brewed another batch last week and it's still in the fermenter. I lowered the lactic acid in this batch because I think I mashed too low last time. I'm interested to see how this one turns out.

I brewed a 5 gal. batch of Cream of Three Crops in April with US-05 and it was definitely tart. Mellowed a bit with age, but it's still there. I just brewed another batch last week and it's still in the fermenter. I lowered the lactic acid in this batch because I think I mashed too low last time. I'm interested to see how this one turns out.
If this batch is tart, I'll probably try again with kolsch yeast.

... a 1050 beer with us05 took about 7 days to get to 1013 where it stopped
The Fermentis Tips & Tricks brochure has a pair of graphs that show attenuation over time for a number of their strains. Anecdotal Tilt data seems to be confirming those graphs.

tl;dr? US-05 may be slower to start and slower to finish than many other strains of dry yeast.

I've noticed more tartness with Nottingham than with US-05 at typical ale temperatures. Currently using Nottingham only for cold fermented ales or as a finishing yeast to ensure attenuation.

In my experience, Nottingham drops like a stone but takes a big portion of hop aroma and flavor down with it.

That's why I only use bittering additions and shift everything else to the dry hop, after the majority of the yeast has settled out, which takes about seven days from fermentation started.

Last edited:
Back