Urquell Yeast @ High End

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
We use 2001 Urquell for our Bohemian Pilsner. We'd like to use the same strain to do a Mexican style lage (12.3 P), but with a quicker turn around. Do you guys have any info regarding the ester profile at the higher end of the temp range? Or perhaps, starting in the sweet spot (50*) and bumping up to the high end for diacetyl rest and a quicker finish? Our turn around for the Bo Pils (14 P) is around six weeks; we'd like to get the Mexican lager packaged at about four weeks. Thoughts?

Got an email from Wyeast suggesting I start high (56-58) and then drop down once there are signs of active fermentation. Anyone tried this?

I just brewed a pilsner urquell clone using that yeast. Started at 55F for a week then let it warm to 70f for two weeks. Slight diacetyl I thought at first but nothing like the Mexican lager yeast I've done before with the same temp profile.

Why not just use Mexican lager yeast at higher temp?

Tasting the pilsner now. Been lagering for about a month. It could pass for a clean Mexican lager. Definitely more character than I thought I'd get. Maybe next time I'll try to ferment lower initially.

It's definitely a good pilsner though in my opinion.

I just brewed a pilsner urquell clone using that yeast. Started at 55F for a week then let it warm to 70f for two weeks. Slight diacetyl I thought at first but nothing like the Mexican lager yeast I've done before with the same temp profile.

Why not just use Mexican lager yeast at higher temp?

Oh, it's for a pilot batch at the brewery I work for. They'd like to avoid ordering another yeast strain, so the options would be pils or kolsch. They also don't want to tie up a fermenter for 6 weeks.

I don't think it should be a huge problem doing two week primary, two week lager with finings. I'm just wondering if I can help it along with the temp profile.

So the options are start warm then drop after 24, run it on the high end the whole time, or try the brulosopher method.

Back