Upsides to the Penrose Kettle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_w_taylor

Reaction score
I figured that a positive thread was in order with the new batch of Penrose kettles arriving. While mine is not here yet I look forward to stepping up my brew day with the larger kettle and ball valve.

Feel free to elaborate with your findings...

Excellent idea! Looks like a fantastic kettle. Any talk of a 22 gal version?

I love mine and will brewing with it later this afternoon. Only a six gal batch but I am still really looking forward to using the kettle. Its made out of heavier gauge material than my current aluminum clad bottom kettle, it's bigger, and it has a smaller diameter. I will be getting a sight gauge for it soon and looking into how to attach a diptube.

Upside: the lid from the 34 quart enamel stock pot that I have pretty much fits on the Penrose.

IMAG0047.jpg

DSCN1784.jpg

Just for size reference left is 16qt middle is 40qt
DSCN1785.jpg

DSCN1786.jpg

I took the dip tube off my 40qt kettle just to see if it'd fit in the penrose and it fit just fine. I however do not have a diptube in it now because its in the pot that I sold off already.

lol, that is funny, I took all the same pictures of mine!

P.S. how did you sell the kettle if you don't mind me asking?

I listed on here in the classifieds. I despise craigslist because of all the scam crap that happens, it's really annoying to list something on there.

Looking at free items on Craigslist I ran across one of these units fully loaded
cost new $3,100;
http://www.skylinepictures.com/Frame_Moulding_Cutting_Joining_Equipment_ufe1109_full.htm
A tax writeoff for a framing company, a great free tool for me.
Snagged $1,600 worth of BMW rims for $250.
Those items "meet me at a 7/11 store" i'll pass.
It all depends on the area your dealing with, ghetto area items, no thanks, big dollar areas with million dollar homes have expensive freebies.

Here is what I have as a pick up in my new Penrose... I have not tested it out yet, so we'll see how it works. It is a bit higher than I would have liked.

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

You could easily just thread a barbed stainless fitting into the 90 and turn the 90 so the barbed fitting sits as far off the bottom of the kettle as you prefer. Or add a short stainless pickup tube...

I like easy, myself.

BSD

I like that! Mind if I post that on the website?

Dale Penrose

I'll only take 10% royalties each sold i'm not greedy.
Hell put it towards my second Brewhemouth purchase as a discount to my account.

Dale; I would add a short piece of threaded stainless pipe cut so that the end rubs against the kettle bottom. Then mill away material but leave opposite on the nipple end 1/8" wide x 3/16" legs that will contact the kettle holding off the bottom for fluid transfer.
Like a spanner tool but out of the SS nipple for a standoff.

I like that! Mind if I post that on the website?

Dale Penrose

PM me your email, and I can send higher res pics without that goofy gray bar on the bottom (not sure why, but that happens sometimes when I opload to picasa)

You could easily just thread a barbed stainless fitting into the 90 and turn the 90 so the barbed fitting sits as far off the bottom of the kettle as you prefer. Or add a short stainless pickup tube...

I like easy, myself.

BSD

This a 1/2
NPT to 5/8" barb?
If not you just made a restriction in the system from the very start.

I ordered mine last night!!! In the meantime, I will have to research a suitable pickup. Thanks to all who posted comments on it.

I don't like there fittings at all. Think they would sell un-drilled pots a bit cheaper without the valve?

yes it does. Add some Cam Locks and Street Elbows and you have something to walk around.

That's my thinking. Love the pot and I don't have the ability to fabiricate or the desire to send something out for $100 an hour to have the fittings put in.

If I'm going to get something preassembled (which looks like my best option), I want lower-profile fittings.

I'm thinking dropping the fittings won't save much money since most of the cost is in the making of the pot itself.

That's my thinking. Love the pot and I don't have the ability to fabiricate or the desire to send something out for $100 an hour to have the fittings put in.

If I'm going to get something preassembled (which looks like my best option), I want lower-profile fittings.

I'm thinking dropping the fittings won't save much money since most of the cost is in the making of the pot itself.

A drill and a Step Bit is all you really need.

Thanks!

The pot looks gorgeous, but the fitting does stick out there quite a bit. Does it stick back into the pot at all, or is it surface-welded.

Edit: Ahhh, I see. Just saw your follow-up post Are the threads available to the inside? Seems a shorter piece could be sticking out on the outside, but nice to have the inside flush.

Thanks!

The pot looks gorgeous, but the fitting does stick out there quite a bit. Does it stick back into the pot at all, or is it surface-welded.

Edit: Ahhh, I see. Just saw your follow-up post Are the threads available to the inside? Seems a shorter piece could be sticking out on the outside, but nice to have the inside flush.

IMAG0059.jpg

All of my pics are cell phone pics... so please don't mind the quality.

Pretty decent for cellphone pics.

I have an e-mail into the guys about some custom fitting arangements. I'll see if they can do shorter fittings.

Thanks!

Back